• 2011movements-fsm discussion

  • Fundamental Structural Problems With WSF Organizing...

    from Suresh Fernando on Dec 19, 2012 10:41 PM
    Hi Everyone

    Maybe most of you are on this list, but if not this email is worth reading
    as it outlines some very fundamental problems with the organizing
    structures and models of the WSF.

    Note that in the *Cult of Secrecy* Section, the authour makes that point
    that...  *'**We would like to remind all that no horizontality can exist
    without real time transparency.'*

    I strongly believe that our familiarity with technology architecture and
    associated processes can serve to mitigate some of these issues. Of course,
     getting buy-in and implementation will provide substantial challenges.

    That said, it's important that we engage in these conversations from a 'new
    movements' perspective.

    Also, if you receive this, please respond as I want to make sure that my
    emails are being received by this group.

    In Solidarity...

    Suresh Fernando
    *Regional Organizer*
    *Quebec-Canada-Indigenous People's Social Forum - 2014*
    *#occupy*
    *#maplespring*
    *#defendourcoast*
    *#idlenomore*

    Here is a statement from some Tunisian groups about the organisation of WSF
    2013.
    I've pasted the english version of this document below, the
    french/spanish/portuguese/german versions you can find in the attached
    document.

    greetings jasper

    -------- Origineel bericht --------  Onderwerp: [Communication commission
    discussion] FSM 2013 WSF : SOS de/desde/da/from/aus Tunisie/Túnez
    /Tunísia/Tunesien  Datum: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 02:45:30 +0100  Van: Mouvement
    T'harrek! <mouvtharrek@...> <mouvtharrek@...>  Antwoord-naar:
    communication-commission-discussion@...  Aan:
    tharrek@...

    **

    ****

    *

    ********

    ****

    --

[...]

    * *
    The WSF Charter of Principles is not being respected* *

    The current situation is no longer acceptable: there are four people
    deciding in the name of others, a deplorable practice, creating a real cult
    of secrecy and they are adopting an arrogant, insulting and dictatorial
    behaviour.****

    ** **

[...]

      from hamouda on Dec 19, 2012 11:12 PM
      Is it a group or some individuals ?
      Hamouda

      Envoyé de mon iPad

      Le 19 déc. 2012 à 22:52, hitchman@... a écrit :

      > Received and agreed
      >
      > In solidarity
      >
      > Judith Hitchman
      > ---- Envoyé avec BlackBerry® d'Orange ----
      > From: Suresh Fernando <suresh2323@...>
      > Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:39:42 -0800
      > To: <2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion@...>
      > ReplyTo: 2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion@...
      > Subject: [2011movements-fsm discussion] Fundamental Structural Problems With WSF Organizing...
      >
      > Hi Everyone
      >
      > Maybe most of you are on this list, but if not this email is worth reading as it outlines some very fundamental problems with the organizing structures and models of the WSF.
      >
      > Note that in the Cult of Secrecy Section, the authour makes that point that...  'We would like to remind all that no horizontality can exist without real time transparency.'
      >
      > I strongly believe that our familiarity with technology architecture and associated processes can serve to mitigate some of these issues. Of course,  getting buy-in and implementation will provide substantial challenges.
      >
      > That said, it's important that we engage in these conversations from a 'new movements' perspective.
      >

      > Also, if you receive this, please respond as I want to make sure that my emails are being received by this group.
      >

      > In Solidarity...
      >

      > Suresh Fernando
      > Regional Organizer
      > Quebec-Canada-Indigenous People's Social Forum - 2014
      > #occupy
      > #maplespring
      > #defendourcoast
      > #idlenomore

    from judith on Dec 20, 2012 07:36 AM
    As someone has pointed out to me in private that my message was ambiguous, let me clarify: by agreed, I mean that yes, I agree that there has been far too much secrecy, far too little transparency,and that I agree that these are essential!

    I hope that is clear?!

    In solidarity

    Judith