• 2011movements-fsm discussion

  • Gezi Festival “To live like a tree, single and at liberty and in solidarity like the trees of a forest...” June 21 – 22 / Bergse Bos, Netherlands

    from ÖrsanŞenalp on Jun 16, 2014 07:07 PM
    Below call is addressed anyone who can make it, festival organised by
    solidarity network formed by active Gezi forums in the Netherlands. It
    came out a bit late but please share and spread the word if you can.

    in solidarity

    ----
    Gezi Festival

    “To live like a tree, single and at liberty
    and in solidarity like the trees of a forest...”

    June 21 – 22 / Bergse Bos

    Towards the end of May of 2013, a resistance began in Istanbul Gezi
    Park and spread across entire Turkey during the month of June. This
    resistance was that of the people rising up against governmental
    oppression.

    Those of us, living in the Netherlands, have shown our solidarity with
    the millions living in Turkey and have also organised protests in the
    Netherlands from the first day of the resistance.

    Following the resistance, we have regularly come together in forums,
    under the umbrella of Gezi Solidarity Netherlands, where we have
    debated issues related to, not only Turkey, but also to the
    Netherlands as well as global issues and have our reactions to these
    issues through various activities and protests.

    We have decided to organise a festival in honour of the first
    anniversary of the June 2013 resistance. This festival is being
    organised entirely on the foundation of a spirit of solidarity and
    with the collaboration of volunteers. With this festival, even if
    simply symbolic, we wish to bring the Gezi spirit and solidarity to
    the Netherlands and experience the accompanying joy. At the same time,
    we shall commemorate
    those who have lost their lives during the resistance, which spread
    throughout the country.

    As an awareness and a reminder nailed to our mind, to our
    consciousness, to our passion, to our muscles and joints, and to our
    ways of perception; saying "Taksim everywhere, resistance everywhere",
    we are going to meet again with all of our colors and voices.

    How can you support this festival?
     Bringing food and drinks to Gezi kitchen and becoming part of our
    shared ‘world buffet’.
     The festival is free of charge. Selling items or services is not
    allowed within the festival area.
     You may support us financially as a sponsor.
     Loaning all manner of technical material that can be of use to us.
     Organising any of the voluntary activities and adding your contribution.
    Any support from and collaboration with you is of great value to us.
    We look forward to your participation and contribution to our
    festival.

    For contact:
    Twitter: @gezi_NL
    Facebook: Gezi Fest NL
    Facebook: DutchSupportForTaksimOccupy

    What happened in Gezi Park?
    It all began for the sake of a few trees. The motivation was to
    protest the building of a shopping centre that would demolish a park
    that served as the only green spot left in the middle of a city. This
    democratic protest,
    similar to other protests, was subject to violent police intervention.
    The tents that were pitched in the park were looted, and the park was
    ruthlessly cleared of protestors. From that moment on, the real
    resistance began. Because the underlying issue was not just about a
    couple of trees, but about the growing government oppression that was
    already in effect for years; it was about the government`s
    intervention in individual’s life styles, and it was about the
    increasing limitation of freedoms. The resistance started in Gezi
    Park, and waves of protests spread first to Istanbul and finally
    across all of Turkey. Millions filling the streets protested against
    the government. Protests of solidarity have been organised all around
    the world.

    The Gezi resistance has brought together holding different views and
    those who never participated in any type of political protest before
    in their lives. Solidarity flourished under tear gas and police
    attacks, and a new culture which we now name as the ‘Gezi Spirit’
    bloomed.

    Taksim Community
    The police cleared out the park following attacks on those who
    protested in the tents set up in the Gezi Park. Following this
    incident, the public owned this resistance, and thousands came to
    support. People built
    barricades surrounding the area around Taksim Square and did not stop
    resisting until they reoccupied Gezi Park and the police finally had
    to retreat. During those days of the police retreat, people managed to
    create a historical alternative mode of living by building a communal
    life in the park. The Taksim Community took a in which no hierarchy
    existed, where people of different backgrounds and classes came
    together for a common goal, and where a common understanding of direct
    democracy presided, with a spontaneous sense of harmony and
    functionality.

    One of the Gezi resistance fighters described the park in those days
    as “the most joyful place on earth at the moment where no one is
    poverty stricken, where even the poor enjoy art, books and the touch
    of humanity to the maximum”. At all hours of the day, food was
    provided to everyone free of charge by public kitchens. Those wounded
    were treated at the infirmary by voluntary doctors, and health
    officers. Security, cleaning and other tasks were carried out through
    job-sharing in the park, where people created their own self-governing
    mechanism. An alternative living space was created with its own cafe,
    educational area and market garden.

    Alongside this, cultural and art activities were organised all day
    long. Activities such as a chess club, a Gezi library, concerts and
    performances on an open stage, painting exhibitions, were arranged
    with free of charge access for everyone. The park took on a colourful
    atmosphere where some practiced yoga in the mornings, some picked up
    trash and cleaned up, where those who prayed and others who drank
    alcohol could stand side by side and where an understanding based upon
    respect for all humanity and nature prevailed. With the
    Taksim resistance, people learned to co-exist in a collective life. A
    political transformation occurred. People managed to listen to,
    understand and feel empathy for those who thought differently to
    themselves and to resist together, hand in hand with others, even
    though they did not necessarily share the same views."

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: [transcollab] Gezi Festival “To live like a tree, single and at liberty and in solidarity like the trees of a forest...” June 21 – 22 / Bergse Bos, Netherlands

    from ÖrsanŞenalp on Jun 17, 2014 09:34 AM
    and this is an assembly will take place during this week:

    Call for Assembly of Resisting Peoples beyond Borders on 22 June,
    Sunday at 14:30-16:30

    We are organizing an Assembly of Resisting Peoples beyond Borders on
    22 June, Sunday at 14:30-16:30 during the Gezi Festival that will take
    place in Bergse Bos in Rotterdam. We hope that this will be an
    opportunity to bring together the active groups in the Netherlands
    that have organized along horizontal networks. Starting with the Arab
    Spring and followed by the Spanish, Greek, and Brazilian people,
    Netherlands became a meeting point for a number of assemblies that
    meet regularly, protest, discuss, and engage in the political debates
    in the Netherlands, in which people following the local resistance in
    their home countries try to build a bridge of resistance between the
    place they come from and their new homes.

    In the first days of resistance, we had our Greek and Spanish friends
    with us demonstrating in the Beursplein in Amsterdam.We had organized
    an open roundtable with people from Egypt, Brazil, and Spain in very
    same square. Now, we would like to create the opportunity that we get
    to know each other, talk about our experiences, tactics, strength and
    weaknesses and the future possibilities of joint action.

    This assembly is open for the groups mentioned above and also to other
    movements based in the Netherlands that engage in horizontal networks
    of action against racism, discrimination, and capitalism.

    This is not only a call for sharing experiences in the Assembly of
    Resisting Peoples beyond Borders, but also to share the music, the
    food, and the joy of the festival altogether.

    Come and bring your friends.

    Gezi Solidarity Netherlands

    #GeziFest fb event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/280973565418204/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular