• Tunis Group 2 - CI futur Consult & +

  • Re: RE: Aspects of caringness

    from pierre on Dec 04, 2013 12:24 AM
    For clarification and comments

    Dear Chris and all participants in G2 group

    Chris  It is heartening to see your interest for this *list of possible
    “WSF contributive group”*
    http://openfsm.net/projects/cifutur/cifuturg2-possible-working-groups-to-care-about-wsf-process

    *FYI That list is published as part of “input 1  to the group discussion”*
    which I made last june in  Group2  about evolution of IC

    One way to make visible the change of perspective was naming IC evolution
     a “WSF Caring initiative” –hence the *use of the word “care*”

    http://openfsm.net/projects/cifutur/cifuturg2-consultation-inputs1

    *This list of 106 groups  is meant as a tool for discussion on IC future , *on
    how ic could be "irraditiating " activity in contributive groups ,  it has
    no official value.*nor it is in Group G2 scope to create real contributive
    groups and start discussion on some of the topics mentionned*

    The purpose of the list is to give an idea of the diversity  of the
    “facilitation tasks” which are worth being considered seen from the IC
    perspective

    the list collects past and possible “ wsf contributive groups” in or around
    IC - Groups who have "1 "in the “distance” column have been considered
    contributive groups

    *The list contains groups with various level of reality* : some have been
    existing groups some have been merely started , some have been merely
    mentioned  by IC participants in meetings, and  many have been merely
    …..imagined by me  based on contact and experience of IC viewpoint and
    problems which have surfaced

    *The list is sorted around four main facilitation goals :*

    1 / sustain communication between event and initiatives organizers  (groups
    1 to 35)-

    2/ communicate wsf to non participants ( groups 36 to 43)

    3/ help participants in improving quality of dialogue and output ( groups
    44 to 66)

    4/ expand a sustainable and united process( groups 67 to 106)

    *When browsing the list, it is advised to read the whole information
    contained in the various columns of the  line of the group*

    GENERAL COMMENT   the idea is that those  *contributive groups,* having
    minimum 2 or 3 ic members in them and open to collectives and organization
    interested in facilitation of wsf process,  *would be launched  or
    receiving recommendations  by IC  plenary  decision after reviews made by
    IC Functional groups* ( ex commissions) as explained in the inputs4
    document here  ( see part 2  paragraph 9 ):
    http://openfsm.net/projects/cifutur/cifuturg2-consultation-inputs4

    it happens that IC is not focused on  facilitation tasks at the moment ,
    rather on its own future and wsf future.....

    HERE ARE some  COMMENTS on the groups you pinpoint your list

    *http://openfsm.net/projects/cifutur/list106-comment1
    <http://openfsm.net/projects/cifutur/list106-comment1>*

    Other comments  welcome about  the  *list106
    <http://openfsm.net/projects/cifutur/cifuturg2-possible-working-groups-to-care-about-wsf-process>**
    if * linking to theme of the "future of IC"

    Regards

    Pierre

    2013/12/2 chris williams <will0447@...>

    > Dear Francine
    >
    > There's a wiki for G2 titled 'cifuturG2 possible working groups to care
    > about
    > wsf process'.  The numbers I have cited are those in column C of the table
    > at
    > the bottom of the wiki.
    >
    > I saw the table's compiler to be grappling with 'caring about wsf'; when to
    > institutionalise a rules-basis, and when to develop/highlight the intrinsic
    > caring nature of those I have met via OpenFSM over the years.
    >
    > If experiencing trouble locating the wiki/table, let me know.
    > Chris
    > On Dec 02, 2013 03:59 PM, Francine Mestrum wrote:
    > > Dear Chris,
    > > Wondering what you are referring to with this 'caringness'...???
    > > Francine

  • More aspects of caringness

    from chris on Dec 08, 2013 07:27 AM
    Dear Pierre and all participants in G2 process

    I have considered the list106 again, and find I am content with a further nine
    aspects.  This is a different list, that augments the seven 'Aspects of
    caringness' already circulated, commented and responded.

    4   plenary session to discuss and evaluate liaison group ( mexico 2010).
    The Mexico 2010 concept of ‘liaison’ envisages an operational aspect of IC,
    giving a top-down visage of ‘broadening and deepening’.  Later IC
    communication and the consultation questionnaire responses seem to move away
    from an operational role for IC.  For liaison to be a valid concept,
    contributive groups would need to be operating at a distance from IC;
    otherwise the Liaison becomes supervision, and flies in the face of effective
    delegation.

    32 Review group to organize review of contributions to wfs process
    facilitation "inside IC/ caring body".
    This introspection may be painful, but comparing Episodes 1 / 2 could be a
    learning experience with member organisations.  Peer validation of the claims
    by fellow IC members might even be cathartic, to better understand the
    differing contexts of the two episodes.

    33   set up group to prepare collectively  wsf related newsletter(s) (montreal
    2009).
    See comments on Aspect 9, above.  I don’t find it problematic or daunting that
    a mega-task emerges around ‘websites’.  Care is needed that buy-in is
    encouraged for each of the groups that have previously declared an interest.
    Some prior research might be needed to identify synergies and conflictual
    viewpoints across Aspects 9, 33, 37, 65, 71, 91 and 104 (and possible others).
     I would be interested in what a balanced composition of this task-group might
    look like, and how their legitimacy might be established and promoted across
    the wider IC membership.

    37  group to share creative  communication initiatives about wsf  (mexico
    2010) - group to develop on line and  face to face  tools and contents for
    communication tools around idea of wsf at large.
    See comments on Aspect 9, above.

    65   comcom seminar about websites paris 2010.
    See comments on Aspect 9, above.

    66 group to give guidelines  on theming ( paris 2011).
    Timely in leadup to WSF2015 (Quebec or India?)

    71  maintain open space website(s) for group workinside caring body  (eg
    openfsm).
    See comments on Aspect 9, above.

    91  group to elaborate practically on usage of  internet in wsf process.
    See comments on Aspect 9, above.

    104  define wsf portal - with a diversity of generic websites.
    See comments on Aspect 9, above.

    A further aspect among the 106 does not sit comfortably with my view of a
    caring body; mostly due to my ignorance that can be resolved in discussion
    with likeminded others.

    39  groups to promote wsf  in media, among friendly journalists.
    I understand the need for professional, high-quality reporting but I sense
    that journalists work in a corporatized mass-media sector.  Alternative media
    alone has legitimacy and, specifically, the cooperative-style of Ciranda.
    Maybe community radio could be considered, where there are strict controls on
    the volume and source of paid advertising.

    The disadvantage of ‘friendly’ journalists is they often gravitate towards
    ‘friendly’ media outlets that do not confront the neo-liberal model in a
    meaningful way, and become typecast and/ or captive.  Mastheads such as The
    Guardian and The Economist could be viewed in this vein.

    The nourishment continues, even a Grand Bouffe, but I sense we need a
    pastrycook, barista and wine conneisseur to round out the meal.  Any Group 2
    offers?

    chris
    On Dec 04, 2013 12:24 AM, Pierre George wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Pierre
    >

    > 2013/12/2 chris williams <will0447@...>
    >
    > > Dear Francine
    > >
    > > There's a wiki for G2 titled 'cifuturG2 possible working groups to care
    > > about
    > > wsf process'.  The numbers I have cited are those in column C of the table
    > > at
    > > the bottom of the wiki.
    > >
    > > I saw the table's compiler to be grappling with 'caring about wsf'; when
    institutionalise a rules-basis, and when to develop/highlight the
    > > intrinsic
    caring nature of those I have met via OpenFSM over the years.

    > > If experiencing trouble locating the wiki/table, let me know.
    > > Chris
    > > On Dec 02, 2013 03:59 PM, Francine Mestrum wrote:
    > > > Dear Chris,
    > > > Wondering what you are referring to with this 'caringness'...???

  • RE: Aspects of caringness

    from chris on Dec 07, 2013 01:32 PM
    Dear Pierre and all participants in G2 Group

    I offer the following responses to Pierre's highlighted comments in the
    list106 wiki

    Item 3.
    Agreed. Current CDP thinking relates to leadership and decision-making
    efficiency, but I would also be interested in concepts such as followership.
    Where would ‘consensus decision perimeter’ techniques be useful?
    a/ within IC decision-making, where the consensus (being sought) applies only
    to IC-made decisions and/or
    b/ across WSF, where the informed individual/s might be IC members seeking to
    guide event organisers and collective groups.

    Regarding followership:
    •	How to prevent alienation of a group member who has wandered from the flock
    and rejoins?  Much of this relates to the story-telling self, and group
    behaviours can either re-enforce or downplay such stories as unworthiness,
    need to make up for lost time, re-initiation to the group, etc.
    •	In communicating with the group, the 'informed individual' might
    a/ discourage group participants from aspiring too high, or
    b/ seek to encourage apprentices in a learning role, based on enthusiasm,
    attractive features, diversity of representation, etc.
    •	From a caring perspective, how to reduce mindless chatter that can distance
    a group member from close-by associates? WSF has both a history and a vision;
    a naive understanding of each is useful to a follower’s early days but a
    detailed and well-groomed understanding doesn’t entitle distraction of
    task-focussed group members.

    Item 8.
    Absence of insight may have little to do with vision, and a lot to do with
    perspective!  Some convergence assemblies are well established.  For example,
    Migrations Assemblies’ native home is Dakar, Senegal irrespective of the WSF
    event.
    I would like to think that Asians returning from convergences share their
    memories, thoughts, insights on the OpenFSM Discussion Forum page.  I don’t
    know the experience elsewhere but, even for convergence organisers, there must
    be ‘life after convergence’.
    Maybe the ‘detailed and systematised space’ you are seeking to create is
    too-rarified; passage-of-time and the organics of political and organisational
    change might cause the highest value of such experience to be for memory and
    history purposes.  In such case, the ‘detailed and systematised space’ would
    be a publisher’s office.

    Item 9. Elaboration.
    In 20013/14, I sense a subtle progression beyond the OpenFSM common portal, ie
    IC WSF 2013/14-Calendar &OEAgora Group space.  I have participated in Europie,
    People Social Forum (Edmonton), Agora99, G20 counter summit, Iraqi Social
    Forum.

    Where you might see ‘fragmentation and competition between sites - failure to
    arrange a common portal’, I see increasing skills and ownership by event
    organizers. To them, the OpenFSM event is merely a point-in-time in their
    continuum, as their decentralized processes weave an ongoing path.  They may/
    may not return to OpenFSM for future events, depending on their experiences.

    Undoubtedly, the same problems that OpenFSM experienced also arise; orphan
    websites, etc.  But OpenFSM serves a complementary and attractive role; to
    weave consistency with other WSF events, to offer WSF resources to event
    organisers, to introduce OpenFSM first-timers to the opportunities of ongoing
    wsf participation.

    Item 20.  Two sides of the same coin.

    Item 34.
    There is a down-side if the ad-hoc group suffers from ‘outcome myopia’.   A
    caring approach would ensure that the wsf story is well-told, and reinforced
    from the event organiser throughout all corners of the IC.  I feel this is
    where the BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) campaign floundered in support
    of the Palestinian effort.  Individual wsf participants have become isolated,
    with insufficient stories to counter the strong, concerted kickback of
    Zionists and their supporters.

    Item 40.
    I respect that Ciranda and forum of radios/tvs can be duplicated, but this
    does not make these ventures less worthy.  The corollary is, in a world where
    messages are regularly conflated, dumbed-down, hijacked by vested interests,
    can WSF afford not to engage and invest in these undertakings?

    Where technological advancement makes some of these ventures replaceable,
    there should always be an option to discontinue the practice.  Sometimes the
    opposite is true.  Whereas previously to operate a WSF publishing operation
    might have been prohibitively resource-intensive, the advent of e-books and
    downloadable applets might be timely.

    Item 50.
    There seems to be little appetite for such a debate in conjunction with WSF
    events; only 6 supportive (2.d.) responses out of 255 overall responses in
    survey exploration 2.  Notwithstanding, I will go into bat for Francine’s
    proposal to accelerate IC debate.  Possibly, there should be an opening
    address on the current ‘world situation’ context for all WSF activities, and
    this address ought to be contentious, challenging, orthodoxy-defying, etc

    End of feedback.  If Group 2 works through Pierre's list106 wiki, there may be
    more pressing matters, or strong disagreements with above responses.  Either
    way, let me know.

    With caring solidarity