• Communication commission discussion

Re: AN INTEGRATION ABOUT WSFTV : Shared communication, alternative media

from chris williams on May 18, 2010 09:59 PM
Hello Paco

Do you have any advice to give, or thoughts to share, with Asian visitors to
the upcoming ESF-sfex regarding WSFTV?  A little about the Asian visitors.

With Pierre's encouragement, our ustream.tv experience at OsakaSF was a
positive, first-time experience for broadcast WebTV.  However, we must
anticipate that ESF-sfex organisers will have different access arrangements to
those offered to us by ATTAC-Kansai (Sho's team).

An outside-of-Asia experience raises extra challenges for WSFTV but, with some
planning, these can be mastered.  Many of us lack the WSFTV pre- and post-
contexts of the Europe event.  What would be really helpful would be a weblink
for outside-Europe visitors to the broader WSF-sfex programme; for those who
intend to use WSFTV as their principal information source.  Is this available
from focuspuller, Ciranda or elsewhere?

Some of the more experienced Sfex participants from Asia will Skype in, or
connect by Facebook or Twitter.

There are two active Asian discussion spaces for feedback to us.
wg-expansion-asia is slowly awakening, as details of the core ESF program
start to be released.  Asian discussion forum is broader and more active, but
is a mix of those who will join ESF-sfex, and those who will not (because of
information complexity, perceptions of irrelevance, other priorities, other
communication challenges).

I regard WSFTV as the essential lynchpin for active and passive participation
of massed groups across the regions - something we are trialling for the
ESF-sfex experience.

Any thoughts/views are welcomed.
chris
collaborateur, Asia/Europe interconnection moment

On May 04, 2010 10:56 PM, antonio pacor wrote:
> [...]
> grazie paco focuspuller
>
> The shared communication in the WSF and the construction of Another
> Communication for Another Possible World
> The WSF started to recommend ten years ago that alternative communication to
> the mainstream media be done in a shared (collective and colaborative) way.
> It was a joint proposal between the WSF and participants in alternative
> media, without rejecting other initiatives to publicize the WSF through the
> conventional press.
> However the possibilities for the visibility of the forum in the market
> media ended up being the same as that experienced by the movements and
> organizations that make up the forum.  When these organizations and
> movements carry out actions of resistance and alternatives to the current
> model, they are criminalized and caricatured. The image of the WSF in the
> media starts with confronting that which this media does to the universe of
> struggles and alternatives expressed in the WSF.
> The challenge of communicating for Another Possible World has surged within
> the WSF and until then it was difficult to imagine: journalistic coverage
> based on a collective and open media pact between the WSF, the alternative
> media, marginalized spokespeople and communicators. The first Ciranda, in
> 2001, was an invitation to this pact, renewed in the following years and
> editions.
> The neccessities have changed. The technologies have changed. The
> experiences have multiplied with other names, other protagonists,
> particularly in the continent in which the WSF was born, from the Casa
> Macunaima, in the Brazilian Social Forum, to the Minga de Movimientos
> Sociales, in the Social Forum of the Americas, to the Laboratory of Shared
> Communication, in the Panamazonic Social Forum, to the initiative Tequio,
> that developed within the Thematic WSF in Mexico, searching for young
> partners in the universities.
> Every new initiative has strengthened the possibilities of sharing, adding
> or incorporating the previous initiatives, creating a fabric of connections
> that cannot be torn easily. Sometimes it is coverages and memories that need
> to be recuperated and preserved, such as the videos from Porto Alegre,
> Florence, Mali, Nairobi, Mumbai and Belem. At times, it is the collaborative
> but invisible practices, such as the different communities of free software
> that at this moment are putting into practice the same system for Ciranda,
> for the communication of the Conference of the Peoples about the Climate, in
> Bolivia, the platform of Enlazando Alternatives, in Madrid, and close to
> here, the site of Indymedia of Mexico.
> The Communication of the WSF should be larger than the WSF and this is the
> point. The response we are still waiting for today
> It is certain that many times the WSF was used as a laboratory of joint
> coverage and of the collaborative use of tools. This generated groups,
initiatives and movements of communication, among youth who had the first
contact with collective media experiences in the World Social Forum. And today
they contribute to different organizations, media and movements. However, it
is not possible to say that these groups continue considering communication
within the WSF as their laboratory. We should think about this.

> The motor of shared communication is the partnership between the WSF process
> and the media, in which the primary role is to stimulate encounters and
> exchanges and the second is to manage media coverage with autonomy and
> exchange of efforts. The objective is that this concept be carried to other
> universes, thematic and geographic spaces of the WSF, but this requires a
> policy, methodology and concrete interest on the part of the WSF in
> developing closer relationships with alternative collectives and media.
> In 2004 and 2005, one hundred participants in the WSF working group on
> communication designed and carried out a group of initiatives to weave
> together the various expressions of the alternative media, which were
> integrated in four shared projects: Ciranda, Radio Foro, TV Foro and the
> Free Knowkedge Laboratory. An extensive report sent to the IC in the
> Netherlands showed the success of the experiênce and its potential to
> mobilize. The report proposed that shared communication be the communication
> policy of the WSF.  It was proposed that the IC call a Seminar about
> communication

Understandably, the International Council was not yet aware enough to the
strategic importance of communication because it required a cultural change
for all of us – in which the desire for space in the media gives rise to the
struggle for the integral right to communication. And without a response by
the IC, over the following two years, the alternative media related more
directly to the events of the WSF to which they had more access and proximity.
The energy of these shared projects was not perceived by the IC as an
opportunity to work together.

Return to date view: threaded or flat