• Communication commission discussion

  • Looking ahead... for the next two years

    from jnardi on Aug 27, 2010 09:34 AM
    [English only, disculpe!]

    Dear all,

    this is the period of the year when we need to start planning for the next
    one, while we struggle to work through the remaining events of 2010 and the
    preparation for Dakar.

    The Resource commission - through Nicolas Haeringer who is in charge to work
    on the fundraising plan - is asking each commission to send their proposal
    in terms of budget necessities (see his message below).  This time it will
    be for the next two years.  We have a close deadline for the proposal on the
    *10th of september*.  But I think we can work on specific parts later.

    As we plan for the post-Dakar - I think we shoud start by looking at what we
    have, in terms of existing tools and working groups, and how to consolidate
    it - as well as taking into account all the suggestions which emerged in the
    last IC meeting.

    I see 4 main focuses of our work for the future:

    1) *Prioritize our targets of communication* in the wsf process:
    - Main target are the participants of the forums worldwide.  This implies
    having registration and mailing tools in a coordinated way, and sharing
    information
    - In parallel, we should work on the "multipliers", i.e. the independent
    media, campaigners, bloggers, some of the organisers, etc.
    - Then there are journalists of various sorts, who have covered the forums
    in the past and of which we should have a general database

    2) *Social media and crowdsourcing*
    Many activists are using these tools and we need to feed into them.  We need
    a strategy to optimize the work on this - we never really looked into it.
    Of course there is the debate on commercial media, privacy and data, as well
    as access.  But if we don't consider this seriously, we are just talking to
    ourselves and not reaching out, which I think is our main role.

    3) *Memory and documentation*
    We've always said we should sythematize memory and have a well documented
    general website of the Forum, but this has not been done yet.  The website
    is only one part (there is an open proposal for a socialforumpedia, which
    could be come part of the general wsf portal) - the main work is collecting,
    organising, translating, etc.

    4) *Innovative ways to inter-connect wsf participants* around the world
    The experimental experience of the Social Forum Expanded/Extended, with all
    its limitations, is indeed one of the innovative elements introduced and
    has, in my opinion, quite some potentials.  So I think we should continue
    and try to mainstream it, finding ways to make it always better.  But there
    might be other ideas around as well to "match" people working on similar
    issues and connect campaigns and activists, as well as exploring different
    "languages" and dimensions of communication (cultural, artistic, etc).

    In general, we need to integrate the existing websites as much as possible
    and have ways to distribute materials that can be used in printed or other
    multimedia formats offline.

    On the administrative/budgeting part, we need to consider:

    A) Fixed costs and avoiding duplication
    In particular:
    - we now have a common dedicated server (in Germany) where we are trying to
    concentrate both the development opensource codes of the websites software
    (SVN), so new people who want to contribute can have access to it, as well
    as the websites that have been developed.  The idea is that instead of
    having the wsf websites in many places, we can have 2 powerful servers,
    backed up, maintained and mirrored - and pay less in total.  But this
    implies a stronger coordination among the working groups, the tech people,
    the wsf office - and the will to do it...
    - translations
    - accounting and auditing costs

    B) Covering the costs that allow use to be a working group
    - traveling costs - reduced to the minimum necessary
    - a strategizing meeting for the comcom (the first of which could be done in
    Dakar to lower costs, but the next one will need to be hosted somewhere
    since - unless there is a new decision - the next wsf will be in 2013).

    C) Decentralising work and collaborations
    - this means that the workload is shared and that there can be some
    dedicated people (hosted by IC organisations, mainly) who help with
    communication tasks in their region (continent).  We could set up a specific
    project and fundraise for it (eg. with Alternatives and others) to have
    internships for 6 months / 1 year and basic costs covered - without creating
    a new structure for this.

    I suggest we have an *online meeting to discuss this on the 1st of september
    *, at 16.00 UTC: see here for a comparison of times -
    http://www.worldtimeserver.com/meeting-planner-times.aspx?&L0=US-NY&L1=BR-SP&L2=SN&L3=FR&L4=IN&Day=1&Mon=9&Y=2010

    Please reply and comment !

    All the best
    Jason

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Looking ahead... for the next two years

    from nicolas on Aug 31, 2010 05:45 PM
    Hello,

    Can you please confirm when the chat will be ?
    Is that 6pm french time ? i.e. 9.30 pm in India, 4pm in Senegal, 1pm in Brazil and noon in New-York?

    Nicolas

    Le 27 août 2010 à 11:30, Jason Nardi a écrit :

> [...]
    >
    > C) Decentralising work and collaborations
    > - this means that the workload is shared and that there can be some dedicated people (hosted by IC organisations, mainly) who help with communication tasks in their region (continent).  We could set up a specific project and fundraise for it (eg. with Alternatives and others) to have internships for 6 months / 1 year and basic costs covered - without creating a new structure for this.
    >
    > I suggest we have an online meeting to discuss this on the 1st of september, at 16.00 UTC: see here for a comparison of times - http://www.worldtimeserver.com/meeting-planner-times.aspx?&L0=US-NY&L1=BR-SP&L2=SN&L3=FR&L4=IN&Day=1&Mon=9&Y=2010

    ------------
    Nicolas Haeringer
    World Social Forum's International Council Resources Commission
    +33650861259
    skype : nicolas.haeringer
    http://www.mouvements.info

    • Re: Looking ahead... for the next two years

      from jnardi on Aug 31, 2010 09:29 PM
      Hi Nicolas,

      on my part, I confirm my availability to start at 5pm french time, not 6pm,
      so we have at least 1 and 1/2 hours to discuss.  For me, max up to 7 pm.

      Jason

      2010/8/31 nicolas haeringer <nicolas.haeringer@...>

> [...]
      > dedicated people (hosted by IC organisations, mainly) who help with
      > communication tasks in their region (continent).  We could set up a specific
      > project and fundraise for it (eg. with Alternatives and others) to have
      > internships for 6 months / 1 year and basic costs covered - without creating
      > a new structure for this.
      > >
      > > I suggest we have an online meeting to discuss this on the 1st of
      > september, at 16.00 UTC: see here for a comparison of times -
      > http://www.worldtimeserver.com/meeting-planner-times.aspx?&L0=US-NY&L1=BR-SP&L2=SN&L3=FR&L4=IN&Day=1&Mon=9&Y=2010
      > >
      > > Please reply and comment !
      > >
      > > All the best
      > > Jason

      > Nicolas Haeringer
      > World Social Forum's International Council Resources Commission

      • Re: Re: Looking ahead... for the next two years

        from pacofocuspuller on Aug 31, 2010 09:32 PM
        Ciao Nicholas ,
        anche io confermo.
        paco