• Communication commission discussion

  • Re: [rc05] information about World Congress funding from ISA and from RC05

    from Azril Bacal on Dec 02, 2013 11:43 AM
    Dear Ann, Peter, Scott and RC05 colleagues,
    Thanks for the enclosed information.
    >From the ethnic fringes of the territorial margins in the neocolonial
    global apartheid-like (dis)order, much is happening in Peru right now
    concerning the fate of Indigenous Peoples and the Andean Peasant
    Communities, who are confronting the encroachment of open pit mining and
    extractivism linked to world and national (internal colonial) neoliberal
    policies...
    Ilustrated by the dramatic fact that about 250 estimated conflicts between
    Indigenous Peoples and Peasant Communities are identified - and are mostly
    related to water, environmental and climatic change (crisis) in their
    ancestral territories...
    Several such mining companies are registered as "canadian" companies due to
    the fact that about 80-90% of exploring "rights" are based in Toronto with
    the blessing of the conservative canadian government.
    Up to 85% of certain territorial district areas, like in Celendin,
    Cajamarca, in the North - where the emblematic Peoples` struggle against
    Yanacocha and Newmont mining companies (Conga no Va!), are nowadays claimed
    by such mining interests, with increasing investment and territorial
    grabbing even by chinese greedy companies.
    Even in Sweden, that is the case with a "canadian-registered" mining
    company exploring in Saami territory with the blessings of the equally
    conservative swedish coalition.
    Any chance for our public voice of concern expressed to world public
    opinion as RC05 - vis a vis such a destructive territorial disposession,
    and corresponding forced emigration of peasants to over crowded cities like
    Lima, without forgetting the damage inflicted to water, ethno-cultural and
    bio-diversity?
    Abrazos from Lima
    Azril
    UNALM, La Molina, Lima, Perù

    On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Ann B. Denis <adenis@...> wrote:

    >  Dear RC05 members,
    >
    > Attached is information about what categories of funding exist through ISA
    > and RC05 for the World Congress. All applications (on the form provided at
    > the end of the message) for both categories of funding must be made to me (
    > adenis@...),  for review by an RC05 subcommittee of Peter
    > Ratcliffe (Treasurer), Scott Poynting (Membership Secretary) and myself.
    >

    > The deadline for receipt of applications for funding is January 31, 2014
    > (by midnight Ottawa – Eastern Standard - time).
    >

    > Unfortunately our funds, and our allocation for registration grants from
    > ISA are very limited, relative to the costs of attending the meetings.
    >

    > We will shortly be sending official letters of acceptance to everyone
    > whose paper has been accepted for presentation in RC05, in order to
    > facilitate other applications for funds.
    >
    > With best wishes,
    >
    > Ann Denis
    >
    > RC05 President and Coordinator for the World Congress
    >

    > *** Please send all replies to the originator and NOT to the mailing list
    > rc05.uibk.ac.at ***

    Thread Outline:
  • Fwd: [rc05] information about World Congress funding from ISA and from RC05

    from Azril Bacal on Dec 13, 2013 11:30 PM
    Estimad@s compañer@s,
    Se ha logrado algo increible en la historia del comite de investigacion
    (RC) 05 sobre
    "Ethnic and Racial Relations" (Relaciones Etnicas y Raciales) de la
    Asociacion Internacional de Sociologia
    - al cual pertenezco desde 1978:
    Brevemente, estan dispuestos, me piden publicar y esperan ASAP
    un articulo en ingles de 2 paginas en el RC-05 Newsletter - que luego
    podriamos traducir y difundir en nuestro idioma.
    sobre el tema del impacto destructivo de la gran mineria para las
    comunidades campesinas y los pueblos indigenas.
    Al respecto, les propongo constituir un grupo de trabajo con la mayor
    rapidez posible y juntos redactar este articulo.
    Nos damos como plazo hasta la proxima semana.
    Ya hable con Carlos al respecto y esta de acuerdo con esta propuesta.
    Espero vuestra confirmacion ASAP.
    Fraternalmente
    Azril
    989 352 861