• Communication commission discussion

  • Fwd: [PsySR-humanrights] Fwd: [INTERNAL NYCAT] Fwd: [wat] US Human Rights Advocates Hold Protest at Guantánamo Naval Base

    from bazril on Jan 24, 2016 03:10 AM
    Dear Paul and Ramona,
    Even if it is too early in the morning to say "good morning" on this sunday
    morning, muchas gracias a mis querid@s Paul y Ramona, for their positive
    news about the "some wonderful people" still working for our survival in
    this (our) world - visibly absent in the conventional media, mercileesly
    and wittingly negative, spreading hopelessness to keep us under control.
    Gracias, querid@s Paul y Ramona, hoping that you understand that much
    Spanish 😇
    Abrazos
    Azril
    _________

    Good morning all,

    Some positive news for Thanksgiving.  There still are some wonderful people
    working for our survival in this world, although you would never know about
    them if you read only the "popular press."

    All the best,

    Paul

    Begin forwarded message:

    *Subject: **[PsySR-humanrights] Fwd: [INTERNAL NYCAT] Fwd: [wat] US Human
    Rights Advocates Hold Protest at Guantánamo Naval Base. **Reply-To: *
    psysr-humanrights@...

    Passing on news about good work being done on Guantanamo and Islamophobia.

    ----------

    US Human Rights Advocates Hold Protest at Guantánamo Naval Base

    Demand Release of Detainees, Closure of the Detention Center and US Base

    Activists Decry Islamophobia in the US Following Terrorist Attacks

    As people in the United States enjoys Thanksgiving with their families, 14
    human rights activists with Witness Against Torture are in Cuba protesting
    the ongoing operation of the US prison at Guantánamo Bay.  At an encampment
    outside the base, the delegation demands that the prison close and that it
    not simply be moved to North America by holding men without charge or trial
    in federal prisons.  The group returns November 30 from Guantánamo to
    Havana, where it will request a meeting with the US ambassador.

    *Forced-Feeding, Not Feasting at Guantánamo *

    On Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 26), the delegation will hold a vigil outside the
    base under the banner “Forced-Feeding, Not Feasting at Guantánamo.”  The
    vigil highlights the continued forced-feeding of hunger striking prisoners,
    as well as the separation of the detained men from their families.  The US
    activists are fasting in solidarity with the prisoners.

                “While most people in the US are enjoying meals with their
    families,” says Marie Shebeck, a social worker in Chicago, Illinois, “I am
    fasting at the site of one of our country’s greatest shames.  If the
    detained men can’t have a homecoming, we must bring our humanity to them.”

                With its vigil, WAT seeks to bridge the distance between their
    encampment and men like Tariq Ba Odah, detained without charge since 2002.
    Tariq weighs 74 pounds after years of hunger striking. “Our actions are a
    simple act of solidarity,” says Chris Knestrick from Cleveland, Ohio. “We
    are here to say: We know you are suffering; we have come to stand with
    you.”

                “There is real power in showing compassion to Guantanamo
    prisoners,” says Omar Farah, an attorney representing Tariq Ba Odah. “I saw
    firsthand when I visited him a week ago the impact of his learning that
    there are people beyond the prison wires who bear witness to his torment.”

    *Time is Up: Close Guantánamo Now*

    Witness Against Torture, which visited the detention camp in 2005, is
    returning after 10 years. “We are impatient. That is the understatement of
    the century,” says Frank Lopez, an educator from New York City. “Obama
    promised to close Guantánamo in 2008, calling it a moral outrage. But there
    are still 47 prisoners who have been cleared for release.  It’s great that
    Shaker Aamer and a couple others have been freed recently.  But whole
    prison must shut down.”

                The protestors carry a stern message for President Obama and
    for those in Congress who have stood in the way of the prison’s
    closure.  “Failing
    to close Guantánamo will be a terrible stain on Obama’s legacy,” says
    Jeremy Varon, a Professor of History in New York City. “Those lawmakers who
    worked to keep scores of innocent men imprisoned will be judged harshly by
    history.”

    *Close, Don’t Move Guantánamo*

    The Obama administration is developing a plan to move the men in Guantánamo
    to prisons in the US, while detaining some indefinitely without charge or
    trial. “Simply moving Guantánamo is no solution,” says Helen Schietinger of
    Washington, D.C.  “That would mean holding on to the barbaric practice of
    indefinite detention.  Besides, the entire domestic system of
    ‘correctional’ institutions is a travesty, poisoned by racism.  We need to
    overhaul the US justice system, not add Guantánamo to it.”

    *Say No to Islamophobia*

    In the wake of attacks in Paris, Lebanon and Mali, Islamophobia rages in
    the US, evident in anti-Muslim violence and the bigoted statements of
    presidential candidates and others in positions of power. Witness Against
    Torture denounces this surge of xenophobia and hatred. “Our presence at
    Guantanamo is more important than ever,” says Jerica Arents, a professor
    from Chicago. “Guantanamo is the bitter legacy of the US’s devastating
    reaction to 9/11, which has meant the unjust detention and torture of
    Muslim men. This is a disgrace we can’t repeat.”

    *Many Faiths, One Message*

    Two Muslim Americans are on the trip.  “It’s important for me to come to
    Guantánamo,” says Maha Hilal, Executive Director of the National Coalition
    to Protect Civil Freedoms, “to protest a ‘war on terror’ that has so
    callously and indiscriminately targeted Muslims.  My identity as a Muslim
    obliges me to pursue justice, while my identity as a US citizen demands
    that I challenge my government’s role in the dehumanization and torture of
    Muslim prisoners.”

    The delegation includes Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists,
    and atheists.  Many members are affiliated with the Catholic Worker
    movement, whose founder Dorothy Day was praised by Pope Francis during his
    US visit. “Jesus teaches us that what we do to the least of us, we do to
    him,” says Frida Berrigan of New London, Connecticut. “As Pope Francis'
    radical call for compassionate action breathes new life into the Catholic
    church, we are putting that call into practice by reaching out to the men
    in Guantánamo.”

    *US Military Out of Cuba*

    Witness Against Torture began this trip by participating in the
    International Seminar for Peace and Abolition of Foreign Military Bases on
    Nov. 23-25. The conference was held in Guantánamo Province, where the US
    has controlled a huge swath of territory for more than a century. Witness
    Against Torture is calling as well for the closure of the entire US Naval
    base in Cuba. “The military base itself is an unwelcome symbol of US power,
    which houses a torture chamber,” says Enmanuel Candelario, an artist from
    the New York.  “No country should endure this breach of its sovereignty.”

    ***

    The delegation in Cuba will make photographs, video, and statements
    available to the media during its trip, and be available for phone
    interviews.  It is supported by solidarity efforts in the United States and
    the UK, including a rolling fast, a prayer chain, and a vigil at the White
    House on November 30th and at the US embassy in London on November 26. For
    solidarity actions, contact: Beth Brockman, <brockman.beth@...>
    brockman.beth@.... For updates, please visit
    <http://www.witnesstorture.org/> <http://www.witnesstorture.org/>
    www.witnesstorture.org

    Witness Against Torture formed in 2005 when 25 US citizens went to
    Guantánamo and attempted to visit the detention facility. Back in the
    United States, the group began to organize more broadly to shut down
    Guantánamo, working with interfaith, human rights, and grassroots
    organizations. The group established an annual gathering—with days of
    fasting, demonstrations, vigils, and direct action —around January 11, the
    date when the first men were brought to Guantánamo in 2002.  The trip to
    Guantánamo builds towards the annual fast and vigil in Washington, DC in
    January 2016.

  • Re: [PsySR-humanrights] Fwd: [INTERNAL NYCAT] Fwd: [wat] US Human Rights Advocates Hold Protest at Guantánamo Naval Base

    from Chris McAlister on Jan 24, 2016 12:16 PM
    Thanks for this Azril.

    Such events and activities are going on all over the world all the time but
    the media as we know refuse to acknowledge it.

    I wonder how long they can hold out?

    Love,
    Chris

    On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:43 AM, Azril Bacal <bazril@...> wrote:

> [...]
    > visit <http://www.witnesstorture.org/> <http://www.witnesstorture.org/>
    > www.witnesstorture.org
    >

    > Witness Against Torture formed in 2005 when 25 US citizens went to
    > Guantánamo and attempted to visit the detention facility. Back in the
    > United States, the group began to organize more broadly to shut down
    > Guantánamo, working with interfaith, human rights, and grassroots
    > organizations. The group established an annual gathering—with days of
    > fasting, demonstrations, vigils, and direct action —around January 11, the
    > date when the first men were brought to Guantánamo in 2002.  The trip to
    > Guantánamo builds towards the annual fast and vigil in Washington, DC in
    > January 2016.

    • Re: [PsySR-humanrights] Fwd: [INTERNAL NYCAT] Fwd: [wat] US Human Rights Advocates Hold Protest at Guantánamo Naval Base

      from bazril on Jan 24, 2016 03:57 PM
      Dear Chris,
      It is up to each and all of us to spread those reliable and good news,
      going on all the time, as you rightly wrote.
      Abrazos
      Azril
      👍