• Communication commission discussion

  • Fwd: New Kontext TV broadcast: "George Monbiot: Alienation, Environmental Breakdown and the Search for a New Progressive Narrative"

    from bazril on Feb 28, 2019 11:09 PM
    Dear Fabian,
    Congrats!
    You continue to do your great work, as always!
    It inspires and gives me strength to carry on struggling for a better world.
    I will share your message with my children and friends.
    Abrazos
    /Azril

    ---------- Forwarded message ---------
    From: Fabian Scheidler <fabian.scheidler@...>
    Date: Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 2:53 PM
    Subject: New Kontext TV broadcast: "George Monbiot: Alienation,
    Environmental Breakdown and the Search for a New Progressive Narrative"
    To: Fabian Scheidler <fabian.scheidler@...>

    [image: cid:B04B07FB-B68E-4371-9660-A9D7AFF7050F@local]

    Ladies and Gentlemen, dear friends and colleagues,

    the independent newscast Kontext TV has published a new broadcast:
    *George Monbiot: Alienation, Environmental Breakdown and the Search for a
    New Progressive Narrative*

    The English version of the broadcast can be found here:
    www.kontext-tv.de/en/broadcasts/george-monbiot-alienation-environmental-breakdown-and-search-new-progressive-narrative

    With:
    *George Monbiot*, columnist with the Guardian und author of "Heat: How to
    Stop the Planet Burning" and "Out of the Wreckage. A New Politics for an
    Age of Crisis“.

    Decades of neoliberal politics and ideology have undermined the coherence
    of societies worldwide, creating the conditions for the resurgence of
    right-wing demagogues and fascism, according to George Monbiot. In Britain,
    citizens were frustrated with the lack of political choice and used the EU
    referendum as a „kick at the establishment“. However, Brexit could turn out
    as a disaster for the majority of Britons. The billionaire class including
    the media oligarchs are pushing for a hard Brexit in order to achieve a
    regulation vacuum and to tie the UK closer to the deregulated US economy.
    Meanwhile the world is mover quickly toward climate breakdown and toward a
    collapse of food production. Industrial farming, especially the production
    of meat, is responsible for ecological destruction on an even faster pace
    than climate disruption. The UN have already warned that only 60 years of
    harvests remain, if agriculture does not change profoundly. Moreover,
    pollination of rice and maize could be inhibited with further warming, as
    these plants only pollinate at night below certain temperatures - with
    devastating consequences for global food supply.
    The activist group "Extinction Rebellion“ is striving for an exit of fossil
    fuels by 2025, occupying bridges and government facilities. „Direct
    actions“ of this type are needed to ring the alarm bells. However, in
    addition to actions, a new progressive narrative is needed, in order to
    replace the morally and politically bankrupt neoliberal agenda.

    The broadcast has four parts:
    *1. "We Are Pushed into Loneliness by an Alienating Economic System” / The
    Resurgence of Fascism: a Response to the Neoliberal Atomization of Society*
    : /www.kontext-tv.de/en/node/2915
    *2. UK: „We Live in a Desperate and Polarized Nation” / Brexit: The Power
    of Media Oligarchs, the Regulation Vacuum and Losing Sovereignty to the US*
    : /www.kontext-tv.de/en/node/2916
    *3. "Only 60 Years of Harvests Left": Environmental Breakdown,
    Insectageddon and the Ravages of Industrial Agriculture*: /
    www.kontext-tv.de/en/node/2917
    *4. Extinction Rebellion: Pushing for an End to Fossil Fuels by 2025 /
    Attempt to Arrest John Bolton / The Search for a New Progressive Narrative*
    : /www.kontext-tv.de/en/node/2918

    The broadcast can be integrated on other sites by "embedded code". It is
    also free for non-commercial radio and television stations to broadcast
    under Creative Commons (CC-NC-BY).

    Fabian Scheidler will be on a *lecture tour *again this spring: in Berlin,
    at the National Theater in Gent (Belgium), in Luxemburg and in other
    places: www.megamaschine.org/en/on-tour/lectures-2019

    Kontext TV is also present on *Facebook*: http://www.facebook.com/KontextTV
    You can follow us on *Twitter* as well: https://twitter.com/KontextTV

    *Kontext TV needs your support!*
    Kontext TV is *100 per cent free of ads *and does not accept any kind of
    sponsoring. It therefore depends on the support of our listeners and
    viewers. You can donate or become a sustaining member of tax deductible
    association Kontext Medien e.V.:
    https://kontext-tv.de/en/sustaining-membership
    If you would like to get more information please send a mail to
    info@....

    If you do not want to receive news about Kontext TV any more please write
    to info@..., subject: unsuscribe.

    With best wishes

    Fabian Scheidler

    Fabian Scheidler