• Communication commission discussion

  • Fwd: English CPNN bulletin June 1, 2019

    from bazril on Jun 10, 2019 02:14 PM
    Ref: On War and Peace

    Dear Relatives and Friends

    Herewith forward a very timely message sent by Paul Kimmel, my engaged
    former social-psychology teacher, early peacenik and dear friend:

    To answer your question from Thursday, the fire is coming from the
    Pentagon.  Here is some of the water needed to quench it.

    Abrazos 👍

    Begin forwarded message:

    *From: *decade@...
    *Subject: **English CPNN bulletin June 1, 2019*
    *Date: *June 1, 2019 at 6:37:46 AM EST
    *To: *<bulletin@...>

    [image: masthead rev] CPNN Bulletin for June 1, 2019
    *LEADERSHIP FOR PEACE*

    In a time of bad news and confusion, we seek those who can lead us towards
    a future of hope and stability. Here are some good examples of leadership
    that we have cited recently in CPNN.

    *Africa:*

    Following in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela, and now including his widow
    Graça Machel as deputy chair, the Elders
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15877> continue to give us good leadership.
    Most recently, at their biannual board meeting in Addis Ababa, they met
    with the Ethiopian Minister of Health and workers at a health center, where
    they discussed the country’s efforts to achieve Universal Health Coverage.
    As expressed by Graca Machel, "Health is a human right
    <https://www.theelders.org/news/africas-health-challenge-human-rights-issue>,
    and health workers are human rights champions. I applaud the Ethiopian
    Government’s commitment to delivering free primary care services at a
    community level, and urge them to commit further public funds to the health
    budget to reach this goal."

    The Prime Minister of Ethiopia, Abiy Ahmed Ali, has been awarded the Félix
    Houphouët-Boigny – UNESCO Peace Prize <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15791>
    for his role as the instigator of a peace agreement between the Federal
    Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and Eritrea. See the recent CPNN articles
    about this agreement <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=14131>.

    The Nobel Women’s Initiative was hosted in Monrovia, Liberia by Nobel peace
    laureate, Leymah Gbowee, and the Gbowee Peace Foundation Africa for a
    groundbreaking summit of Emerging Feminist Voices for Peace
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15860>. The five Nobel Peace Laureates
    present (Leymah Gbowee, Shirin Ebadi, Jody Wiliams, Rigoberta Menchú Tum
    and Tawakkol Karman) shared some of their experience and offered advice for
    young, ‘emerging’ feminist leaders. "The overarching theme was that we
    (women) are powerful and worthy; that we must claim our space, we must use
    our voice and we must not ask for permission to do so."

    The youth of Africa continue to mobilize for peace. The National
    Co-ordination in Gabon of the Panafrican Youth Network for the Culture of
    Peace <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15921> (PAYNCoP,) has recently unveiled
    its roadmap of actions to be carried out over the next two years. The
    action plan provides for four strategic axes, including the popularization
    of PAYNCoP, the promotion of a culture of peace, the appropriation of
    Resolution 2250 (youth, peace and security) and the transformation of
    PAYNCoP into a social enterprise .

    *Latin America:*

    21 Nobel Peace Laureates Have Confirmed Attendance at the 17th World Summit
    of Nobel Peace Laureates <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15841>titled: “Leave
    Your Mark for Peace” to take place in in Mérida, México. This year’s
    program will focus on both the Mexican legacy and the nation’s involvement
    in the global peacebuilding process. The program will engage civil society
    and youth from throughout the world by providing them the tools and
    strategies needed to achieve peace at the local and global levels.

    In the face of the neo-colonial threats of the United States and its allies
    against Venezuela, the fomer President of Guyana, Donald Ramotar
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15799>, has warned that "Any action that
    could lead to the forceful overthrow of Maduro’s government would renew the
    culture of military coups and bloody dictatorship in Latin America,
    reminiscent of the 1960s and 70s. . . . The greatest contribution that
    external intervention can play is to encourage democratic solutions and
    promote political negotiations and dialogue, for a peaceful settlement. Any
    other course, such as economic sanctions, will only worsen the situation
    and lead to bloodshed and violence. Latin America and the Caribbean need a
    culture of peace."

    *North America:*

    Although the government and the mass media of the United States are not
    providing good leadership, there are individuals who are (or have)
    done so. Richard
    Falk <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15885>, who served as the UN Special
    Rapporteur on Occupied Palestine during the period between 2008 and 2014,
    explains in a recent blog why he cannot abandon his long-standing
    commitment to take controversial public positions, such as his defense of
    the human rights of the Palestinian people, his objection to the threats
    against Iran and his defense of the whistle-blowing of Julian Assange.

    Recently we lost a great peace activist of the United States, Michael True
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15778>. Mike was a tireless advocate of
    people power. He believed deeply in the capacity of ordinary folk to effect
    social change, and expressed that conviction in his many books, lectures,
    and personal support for a myriad of campaigns, including the Peace and
    Justice Studies Association and the International Peace Research
    Association. When the UN came out with its Culture of Peace documents, he
    was ecstatic, because finally an international body recognized what he had
    known all along, that individual initiative, nonviolent direct action, and
    people power matter.

    *Europe:*

    Religious leaders are working for world peace. In Geneva, the conference on
    'Promoting Peace Together’ Promoting Human Fraternity and Harmonious
    Co-existence through Dialogue <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15829> was
    sponsored by two of the largest Christian organizations, the World Council
    of Churches and the Vatican Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue.
    The conference presented their document "Education for Peace in a
    Multi-religious World: A Christian Perspective. It also discussed the
    document ‘Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together’ jointly
    signed by Pope Francis and the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar in Abu Dhabi in
    February, 2019,

    *East Asia:*

    And religious leaders are working specifically for peace in Korea. South
    Korean Cardinal Andrew Yeom Soo-jung <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15873>
    believes that permanent peace is within sight on the Korean Peninsula. He
    made this statement in a keynote speech at the 2019 Korean Peninsula
    Peace-sharing Forum hosted by the National Reconciliation Committee of
    Seoul Archdiocese and sponsored by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and
    Tourism at the Catholic University of Korea on May 18.

    *Globally:*

    As we have previously reported <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15440>,
    students around the world have taken the leadership in the fight to save
    the planet from global warming. The recent strike on May 24 is said to
    involved over a million students, and we show their photos
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15895>from the Philippines, Germany, Syria,
    South Korea, New Zealand, India, Italy, Uganda, Ireland, USA and Sweden as
    well as links to photos from Chile, Mexico and Brazil.

    It should not be surprising that the leadership we need comes especially
    from the sectors that have been ignored and oppressed by the culture of
    war,: women, youth and the continents that were victims of colonialism and
    continue to be exploited by neo-colonialism, Africa and Latin America.
    * * * * *

    If you cannot see the photos click here for the internet version
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15932>. Click here
    <http://cpnn-world.org/french/?p=7508> for the bulletin in French or here
    <http://cpnn-world.org/spanish/?p=8007> for the bulletin in Spanish.

    FREE FLOW OF INFORMATION

    21 Nobel Peace Laureates Have Confirmed Attendance at the 17th World Summit
    of Nobel Peace Laureates <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15841> SUSTAINABLE
    DEVELOPMENT

    Youth for climate: 130 scientists support the youth climate strike
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15912> WOMEN'S EQUALITY

    Liberia: Feminist Voices for Peace
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15860> EDUCATION
    FOR PEACE

    PAYNCOP Gabon Presents its Roadmap to the President of the National
    Assembly <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15921>
    DISARMAMENT AND SECURITY

    Latin America and the Caribbean need a culture of peace
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15799> HUMAN RIGHTS

    The Global Campaign for the Prevention of Child Marriage
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15882> TOLERANCE AND SOLIDARITY

    Geneva: Conference on ‘Promoting Peace Together’ Promoting Human Fraternity
    and Harmonious Co-existence through Dialogue
    <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15829> DEMOCRATIC PARTICIPATION

    Spain: What a city of peace should be like, according to youngsters in
    Barcelona <http://cpnn-world.org/new/?p=15788>