• Communication commission discussion

  • Fwd: ideas for special reflective issue of journal

    from bazril on Feb 16, 2022 12:00 AM
    Maybe interesting 🤔?

    ---------- Forwarded message ---------
    Från: Azril Bacal <bazril@...>
    Date: tis 15 feb. 2022 15:25
    Subject: Re: ideas for special reflective issue of journal
    To: Susan Jane Goff <publications@...>
    Cc: Erik Lindhult <erik.lindhult@...>, Yedida Bessemer <
    yedidabessemer@...>, Colin Bradley <president@...>,
    Riripeti Reedy <riripeti.reedy@...>, Shankar Sankaran <
    Shankar.Sankaran@...>, Shawn Wilson <Shawn.Wilson@...>,
    Shawn Wilson <shawn.wilson@...>

    Dear Colin and All,
    Actually, we are in the midst of a crisis of collective behavior and global
    anomie, which was aptly analized by Tamotsu Shibutani in terms of the
    Sociology/Sociogenesis of Rumors - hand in hand with the impact of
    propaganda on crowd behavior - reflected in the growth of nationalist
    populism and etno-politics - reminiscent of fascism and nazism in the past
    century. In other words, we are facing a crisis of civilization beyond a
    knowledge crisis.
    A crisis where in Hanna Arendt's terms people stop thinking and are (mis)
    led by "engineers of the mind" into denial of features such as Covid-19
    vaccination, climate change and electoral results which added together
    threaten liberal and social democracies in our time ⌚
    Warm regards
    Azril