Dear all,
first of all I'm sorry for the confused proposal that I sent to you some days ago. I  thanks Bettina for the translation.
grazie to her and to all of you.
paco

Proposal for organizing Belem’s video archive and production of a collective documentary celebrating the forum of Belem.

 The group that produced the video material in Belem, TVForum, has collected approximately 80 videotapes of approximately 70 hours of material. This video material is supposed to be catalogued in a way to allow consultation on the site www.wsftv.net in the section dedicated to the memory audiovisual social forums.
This is a important but also time consuming job, loading on computers, cleaning and cataloging interviews. Cataloging is  something that needs to be organized with method and applied to all the material destinated also to wsftv (See attached draft www.wsftv.net)
This work will be carried out mainly in Italy in Milan and Belem in Brazil and with the  collaboration of the network of other groups who participated in wsftv and that were present at the forum.
Proposal for a collective documentary about WSF2009 Amazon Belem
We propose the creation of a collective documentary of the forum of Belem during the organization and cataloging of the Belem video archive.
The proposal is that each group that participated in the TvForum in Belem,  edit several short films, length and quantity to be discussed, in order, at the end, to have a 60 minute  collective documentary available also for the celebration of Porto Alegre in 2010.

Exhibition / installation of audio-visual memory of the WSFs to be carried out for Porto Alegre in 2010. The exhibition will be reproduced for distribution.

During the last meeting of the IC in Rabat , an idea to organize a video installation with materials made in these years of forum was sketched to the Secretario de Cultura Prefeitura de Canoas (Canoas is one of the city close to Porto Alegre and that is part of an event of celebration of 10 years of the World Social Forum).
This proposal can perfectly merge with the idea of Ciranda to create an event on the practice of shared communication and alternative media that in these 10 years have followed the path of the forum and have become social practice of collective social movements.

The event has even greater importance if we consider the increasingly important role that communication that movement people produce, as in the case of repression of the native Peruvians, Honduras golpe, or like in Genova 2001, or in many other situations around the world like in these days with the dramatic situation of Iran,  is sometimes the only communication available through the Internet and social network.

2009/7/6 Pierre George <pierregrg@gmail.com>
Hello Hilde

You rightly point in your last message that
"there is also the documentation of activities and outcomes of forum events "
and  :
an important part of our strategy should focus on outreach and encouraging
individuals and groups to participate in the documentation process.

One action line of this memory and documentaiton group for 2009-2011 can be indeed  to focus on stimulating creation of memory and documentation groups in* each* event of 2010-11 calendar  and exchange with them on experience accumulated in some of the past forums events in  encouraging individuals and groups to produce their documentation, and valuing at least certain part of those contents  by  giving them visibility anda ccountability   ( which collective  has produced what content in a accountable way) .

The automatic gahtering of those accountable inputs, along some presentation  structure  becomes then a significant part of the collective memoru

Those memory groups can be helped in some case by the "event website" of their event  which can provide "forms"  for documenting acivities and outcomes, and make those contents visible when browsing the event program after the event is over

It seems logical to  take advantage of the program data structure as an existing and  meaningful way to present  the memory of the event  to its participants and beyond,  along several perspectives ( calendar , thematic/objective , methods, type of document, tagging , keywords, etc)

For this action line  " memory teams stimulating participants documentaiton " , there will probably  be inputs  from  and coopertion with  the "participation/internal com"  group

it is also  to be noted that any "analyses synthesis initiative" which is  taking as raw material the contents produed by the event participants, including  the alternative media,  can be viewed as an activity in its own right ( inasmuch it is a collective undertaking , and declares itself as an actiity ,which may require some proactivity on behalf of the local memory group towards the people that intend to make those syntehses analyses ) and thus be treated with the same "protocols" as exposed above

More inputs on this matter in the coming days ......

Aslo i agree with Bettina that one pending  task is to approach the organisations that have declared themselves interested by the "memory" in our Rabat enquiry - we will talk about how to this  in the coming weeks

Regards to all
Pierre

2009/7/3 Hilde C Stephansen <so703hs@gold.ac.uk>
[Portugues abaixo (traducao automatico)]

Hello everyone

We have a lot of interesting contributions to the discussion so far. Here
are some thoughts as an attempt to summarise and move the discussion
forward.

We have the proposal from Sergio and others for the oral history project
in connection with the Museu de Pessoa in Sao Paulo.

There is also a proposal from Focuspuller about audiovisual memory and
wsftv.net. (Antonio, I didn't understand all of this, my Portuliano isn't
very good, could you write a version in English?)

The work of audiovisual memory is linked to the work of the Alternative
Media working group, who have a proposal to create a portal linking the
sites of the different shared communication projects together (Ciranda,
wsftv, Forum Radio). I think this could have a dual function both as a
memory database and site for live coverage.

Apart from these types of memory there is also the documentation of
activities and outcomes of forum events, like the ones Pierre mentioned in
his email. Is this something we want to think about/organise for
2010/2011?

I have created a working page on openfsm for the group:
http://openfsm.net/projects/communication-commission/wg-memory-documentation.
Sergio, Antonio, Bettina and others - perhaps you could upload your draft
proposals here so we can start bringing them together?

Apart from these distinct elements of memory, there is a larger question
about whether we want to think about developing a more integrated overall
approach. The document ciruclated by Norma talks about the need for a
systematic approach to the documentation of the WSF process, incorporating
a range of different formats. Bettina raised important points about the
need for cataloguing and classification to make material easy to find. I
mentioned in my email that there are lots of different sites containing
'WSF memory' but this is not very systematic.

Is a project to systematise and bring together existing material on the
WSF process soemthing we want to pursue? Would this be realistic? I have
previously been in contact with Mikael Book and others from the
wsflibrary, a project run by NIGD and the Kenyan Library Association (see
wsflibrary.org). They might be able to contribute some ideas, if people
think this would be helpful I could invite them to participate in the
group.

Finally - I think the project of memory and documentation towards the 10th
anniversary celebration in 2010 is not only about preserving the history
of the WSF but also has an important mobilizing function. Therefore an
important part of our strategy should focus on outreach and encouraging
individuals and groups to participate in the documentation process.

Maybe our next steps should be to refine the different proposals (oral
history, audiovisual, outcomes, etc.), including indications of budget,
and bring these together into one document to present as the proposal from
the Memory and Documentation working group.

Hilde

PORTUGUES
Olá a tod@s

Temos um grande número de contribuições interessantes para o debate até
agora. Aqui estão alguns pensamentos como uma tentativa de resumir o
debate e avançar para a frente.

Temos a proposta do Sergio e outros para a história oral projecto em
ligação com o Museu de Pessoa, em São Paulo.

Há também uma proposta de Focuspuller sobre a memória audiovisual e
wsftv.net. (Antonio, eu não entendo tudo isso, meu Portuliano não é muito
bom, você poderia escrever uma versão em Inglês?)

O trabalho da memória audiovisual está ligada ao trabalho da mídia
alternativa do grupo de trabalho, que têm uma proposta para criar um
portal que liga os sítios dos vários projectos em conjunto compartilhado
comunicação (Ciranda, wsftv, Fórum de rádio). Penso que isto poderia ter
uma dupla função como uma memória de dados e local para a cobertura ao
vivo.

Para além destes tipos de memória, há também a documentação das atividades
e os resultados do fórum eventos, como os mencionados Pierre em seu
e-mail. Isto é algo que queremos pensar / organizar para 2010/2011?

Tenho criado um grupo de trabalho sobre openfsm página para o grupo:
http://openfsm.net/projects/communication-commission/wg-memory-documentation.
Sergio, Antonio, Bettina e outros - talvez pudesse carregar seu projecto
de propostas aqui para que nós possamos começar trazendo-os juntos?

Para além destes elementos distintos de memória, existe uma grande questão
de saber se queremos pensar em desenvolver uma abordagem global mais
integrado. O documento ciruclated pela Norma fala sobre a necessidade de
uma abordagem sistemática para a documentação do processo FSM,
incorporando uma gama de diferentes formatos. Bettina levantou pontos
importantes sobre a necessidade de catalogação e classificação de fazer
materiais fáceis de encontrar. Mencionei no meu e-mail que há lotes de
diferentes sites que contêm 'FSM memória ", mas isto não é muito
sistemática.

É um projeto para sistematizar e reunir material existente sobre o
processo FSM soemthing queremos prosseguir? Seria esta realista? Eu já
estive em contacto com os livros e outros Mikael da wsflibrary, um projeto
executado por NIGD e as quenianas Library Association (ver
wsflibrary.org). Elas podem ser capazes de contribuir algumas idéias, se
as pessoas vão pensar que isto seria útil eu podia convidá-los a
participar do grupo.

Finalmente - Eu acho que o projeto de memória e de documentação para o 10
º aniversário em 2010 não é apenas cerca de preservar a história do FSM,
mas também tem uma importante função mobilizadora. Por conseguinte, uma
parte importante da nossa estratégia deveria concentrar-se na
sensibilização e incentivando os indivíduos e grupos a participar no
processo de documentação.

Talvez os nossos próximos passos devem ser para aperfeiçoar as diferentes
propostas (história oral, audiovisual, resultados, etc), incluindo
indicações de orçamento, e pô-los juntos em um documento a apresentar como
a proposta do GT da Memória e Documentação.

--
Archive: http://openfsm.net/projects/communication-commission/lists/memory-documentationwg/archive/2009/07/1246637672795