Da: Martina Pignatti M. [mailto:martina.pignatti@unponteper.it]
Inviato: mercoledì 21 agosto 2013 20:14
A: iraq-social-forum-english@lists.openfsm.net
Oggetto: [Iraq Social Forum] Agreements on Extended Forum, after today's chat

Dear all,
today's chat was useful for us to clarify issues on the Extended Iraqi Social Forum. Even if the whole text of the chat will be available online, I sum-up here the main agreements. Additional options need to be discussed again because there was no consensus that they are sustainable, and many of us think that offering too many options may scare/confuse/demotivate participants in the Extended forum.
I ask the ISF Committee in Baghdad to confirm soon if they want to stream the main events, like the opening event or the final plenary assembly. Internationals are very interested in following these moments, and would like to know when they take place.

Another chat of the ISF Extension Team will take place on Monday, August 26, at 5 pm (Italian time). If you want to participate please contact the skype user: isf.extensionteam

The next general chat of the International Solidarity Committee for the Iraqi Social Forum (ISF) will take place on Wednesday 28th of August, at 14:00 GMT (that is 16:00 in Italy, 17:00 in Iraq).

Info on the Extended Forum follow.
Best
Martina

---

EXTENDED IRAQI SOCIAL FORUM

Definition of activities:

1) SOLIDARITY ACTIVITY happens before the forum,  in Iraq or abroad, trying to establish a Skype connection with someone from the ISF committee
2) TELE-PARTICIPATION happens during the forum, through events organized abroad or in other Iraqi cities (who ask to connect with someone at the ISF, and hear about what is going on in Baghdad) or events organized at the ISF which are open to internet participation from internationals and from other Iraqi cities (through streaming or a collective Skype call)
3) TELE-EXCHANGE is the more complex and rewarding activity, with two or more groups preparing the workshop together and doing it simultaneously during the ISF, through internet connection. One group will be in Baghdad, other groups in other Iraqi cities or abroad

How to organize them:

1) SOLIDARITY ACTIVITIES: Martina will ask those who proposed them to write us : when, where and at what time they plan to do the activities and what is the content, and set a deadline to get all this info (September 10). The ISF Secretariat will convey the same info to Martina about solidarity activities organized in Iraq. Afterwards, the Iraqi Extension Team will have to find relevant activists from the ISF Committee to participate through skype calls in every event. This way we can do a schedule of Solidarity activities before the ISF, this program can be ready on September 15

2) TELE PARTICIPATION when the EVENT is ORGANIZED ABROAD, OR IN ANOTHER IRAQI CITY during the ISF: we need to know again when and where and at what time they plan to do the activities and what is the content, Martina can send a similar email to internationals with the same deadline (Sept 10, that can be moved of a few days eventually), Ismaeel will write to the Iraqis who proposed activities through the international website. The extension team in Baghdad will have a program of these activities before the forum starts, and look for relevant  persons during the ISF who can come to the Extension Office at the ISF venue at each time.
So we will have an Extension Office where people go to connect with people outside, and make a speech on what is happening at the ISF.

TELE PARTICIPATION for EVENTS ORGANIZED IN BAGHDAD, at the ISF: We need to identify if the Iraqis who registered events in Baghdad want to open them to extension. The Iraqi Extension team should ask them to appoint within Sept 15 one person of their organization who can follow the extension, and teach this person how to manage a streaming or a skype conference. The Iraqi Extension team will also convey to Iraq groups the interest of internationals to follow their activity online, if internationals signal it before September 5. Links of streaming channels and skype contacts can be collected before the ISF, and all these activities will be allocated in Extension Rooms. These Extended Activities will be signalled in the ISF program.

3) TELE-EXCHANGE needs to be discussed by the Extension Team during the next chat on Monday.