• WSF Extended info

RE: Re: Unnecessary Imposed Megaprojects: 8-11 May

de parte de John Mugabushaka on 2014-05-08 00:15
Congratulations Chris on this discussion about Inga Dam Project Phase Three in DRC. I do share your views. Even the Capital City, Kinshasa, is nearly always in the dark. In some suburbs they have electricity 3 days per week and for an hour or two on the day it is available. I just returned from the Congo one week ago!

In contrast. Southern African countries to which the Congo exports the product have no electricity problem at all.

I have also noticed that electricity export does not appear as a source of income in the DRC National budget.  Where does the money go? I think the answer to this question is the general problem for the DRC. If the G20 summit is really interested in helping developing countries, they should honestly invest their efforts into fighting corruption/investment/money laundering issues in those countries. One of the ways of this is promoting and helping to develop true and strong democratic/accountable systems instead of supporting "strong men".

From: chris williams [will0447@...]
Sent: Monday, 5 May 2014 12:50 AM
To: wsf-extended-discussion@...
Subject: [wsf extended discussion] Re: Unnecessary Imposed Megaprojects: 8-11   May

Agree with Patrick that it is imperative to contest on megaprojects.

The civil society advocacy effort for G20 is up and running, with a
conversation space here, http://www.c20conversations.org.au/node/419339 that
has identified some new issues.  However, I see a major input on current
megaproject issues to come from Rosia Mantagna, Romania this week.  Last
year's forum was helpful, alerting all to the Stuttgart21 disaster.

Following the C20 conversations, a draft Discussion Paper (ala Position Paper)
is here, http://www.c20conversations.org.au/node/436637 and open for comment
until 16 May.  The C20 proposed position is then presented at a Civil Society
summit in Melbourne, 20-21 June.

I can't fathom how Infrastructure projects barely rated a mention during 2013
G20 in Moscow yet, from January 2014, OECD's reckoning is there are $50tr of
essential infrastructure projects to be completed by 2030.  Where have these
projects come from?  Why weren't they 'essential' prior to 2014, and now they
threaten the viability of the international financial system?

One project sneaking under the G20 radar is the Inga III dam project on the
River Congo.  International Rivers has been trying to generate awareness of
this megaproject, still with unresolved social and environmental issues from
Stages 1 & 2.  The generated hydro-electricity is to feed into the South
African power grid and the multinational-owned mines in Democratic Republic of
Congo, whilst the nearby settlements and townships in DRC continue to go
without electricity.

Inga III's other dilemma is there are only 3 bidding consortia, and two of
them have previously been 'black-banned' by World Bank for corruption or
unacceptable practices on other World Bank projects.  This leaves only one
bidding consortia, in a one-horse race to determine who the winning bidder
will be for Stage III of the megaproject.  I understand WB is trying to
rearrange consortia to work-around this dilemma (and their own
rules/procedures), but it still smacks of corruption.

I'll be at the C20 Melbourne summit next month and, most likely, at the G20
Leaders' Summit in Brisbane in November to try to add to infrastructure
accountability via Ciranda.  Join me.

chris

--
Archive: http://openfsm.net/projects/wsf-extended/lists/wsf-extended-discussion/archive/2014/05/1399251003916

Regresar a vista por datas: Filado ou plano