• WSF Extended info

RE: Unnecessary Imposed Megaprojects: 8-11 May

from chris williams on May 08, 2014 10:58 PM
John's contribution about DRC's Inga III dam project is timely for the 4th
Forum on Unnecessary Imposed Megaprojects currently underway in Rosia Montana,
and to civil society's C20 Summit next month in Melbourne.

Here is the link to the C20's Infrastructure Safeguards conversation
http://www.c20conversations.org.au/node/421147#comment-66442 , which shows the
contribution of International Rivers and others to questioning the project's
anti-corruption credentials.

There are two C20 webinars next week, here
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/184142887 and here,
https://www4.gotomeeting.com/register/234911231 with times aligned for
convenience to America and Europe.  Patrick, John and others are most welcomed
to join the webinar discussions, where I would hope the infrastructure
safeguards can be strengthened in light of Rosia Montana results, and
contrbutions from knowledgeable and committed people like John.

Kind regards
chris
On May 08, 2014 12:15 AM, John Mugabushaka wrote:

> Congratulations Chris on this discussion about Inga Dam Project Phase Three
> in DRC. I do share your views. Even the Capital City, Kinshasa, is nearly
> always in the dark. In some suburbs they have electricity 3 days per week
> and for an hour or two on the day it is available. I just returned from the
> Congo one week ago!

> In contrast. Southern African countries to which the Congo exports the
> product have no electricity problem at all.

> I have also noticed that electricity export does not appear as a source of
> income in the DRC National budget.  Where does the money go? I think the
> answer to this question is the general problem for the DRC. If the G20
> summit is really interested in helping developing countries, they should
> honestly invest their efforts into fighting corruption/investment/money
> laundering issues in those countries. One of the ways of this is promoting
> and helping to develop true and strong democratic/accountable systems
> instead of supporting "strong men".

Return to date view: threaded or flat