• WG about future

  • Chico Whitaker texts in doc

    from Chico - UOL on Jan 06, 2013 07:00 PM
    It seems rtf does not open.

    L'archive en rtf ne semble pas ouvrir.

    O arquivo em rtf parece que não está abrindo.

    Thanks, Chico Whitaker

    Thread Outline:
  • RE: Chico Whitaker texts in doc

    from mestrum on Jan 07, 2013 09:09 PM
    Dear Chico,

    Many thanks for your new text. It is very clear and helps a lot to learn
    what the plans are.

    Let me try to summarize and tell you how I understand it. Please let me know
    if my interpretation is right or wrong.

    1.      A movement ‘Action for a Possible Other World’ is created, called
    APW

    Members are individuals who can, nationally or regionally, create ‘GRAPS’
    (grupos de apoyo) which can also create support offices, in fact national or
    regional ‘secretariats’

    These ‘GRAPS’ can also create ‘denser cores’ of movements (this point is not
    yet very clear to me – what these denser cores are for, what they can/should
    do- or is it just that they can work together?)

    The APW can also create working parties, e.g. on expansion or on strategy.

    2.      I understand this as a de facto ‘decentralization’ of the WSF
    process with the main decision-making power lying with the GRAPS.
    Participants from countries or regions with less organizational capacity,
    funds or with less ‘advocates’ of the WSF process – take Belgium – may get
    marginalized. Participants without GRAP may have difficulty making their
    voice heard, or not?

    3.      Can there not be a problem with ‘individual’ membership? We all know
    the old tricks of the left: have all members of one single organization
    register, and they automatically have a majority … I very much like your
    comparison of the IC with an ‘affinity group’, I think you are right for a
    small core of people. But I would not be so optimistic as to ignore all
    ‘power’ struggles, however relative that may be.

    4.      My impression is you are still very afraid of any ‘decision-making’,
    of positions that might be taken by the APW. Will it ever be possible to
    arrive at real consensus? I am not promoting this decision-making, but I do
    not want to exclude it a priori.

    5.      Will the APW only convene when there is a World Social Forum or also
    at thematic or regional forums? Who will still be able in the future to
    organize WSF? GRAPS can go their own way …

    6.      Are there any thoughts on financial contributions to APW or GRAP?

    7.      It seems to me the ‘power’ is shifted from IC to GRAPs, with less
    possibilities for global action, and more focus on regional issues.

    8.      I also wonder, yes there may still be WSFs, but is the dissolution
    of the IC not the beginning of the end? I have no answer.

    These are my first thoughts.

    Let us hope we can discuss it all.

    I wish you all, and especially you Chico, a very happy and healthy 2013.

    Francine

    --
    Archive: http://openfsm.net/[
    <http://openfsm.net/projects/wsfic_fsmci/lists/wg-about-future/archive/2013/

    • Re: RE: Chico Whitaker texts in doc

      from chicowf on Jan 07, 2013 10:02 PM
      Thank you very much, Francine. Give me two or three days to answer to you. In the next days I must absolutely finish what I am now doing. It will be easier for me now to answer, as there are not so many questions and they are very direct...

      Fraternally, Chico Whitaker

      Em 07/01/2013 19:06, Francine Mestrum < mestrum@... > escreveu:

      Dear Chico,

      Many thanks for your new text. It is very clear and helps a lot to learn what the plans are.
      Let me try to summarize and tell you how I understand it. Please let me know if my interpretation is right or wrong.

      <![if !supportLists]>1.      <![endif]>A movement ‘Action for a Possible Other World’ is created, called APW
      Members are individuals who can, nationally or regionally, create ‘GRAPS’ (grupos de apoyo) which can also create support offices, in fact national or regional ‘secretariats’
      These ‘GRAPS’ can also create ‘denser cores’ of movements (this point is not yet very clear to me – what these denser cores are for, what they can/should do- or is it just that they can work together?)
      The APW can also create working parties, e.g. on expansion or on strategy.

      <![if !supportLists]>2.      <![endif]>I understand this as a de facto ‘decentralization’ of the WSF process with the main decision-making power lying with the GRAPS. Participants from countries or regions with less organizational capacity, funds or with less ‘advocates’ of the WSF process – take Belgium – may get marginalized. Participants without GRAP may have difficulty making their voice heard, or not?

      <![if !supportLists]>3.      <![endif]>Can there not be a problem with ‘individual’ membership? We all know the old tricks of the left: have all members of one single organization register, and they automatically have a majority … I very much like your comparison of the IC with an ‘affinity group’, I think you are right for a small core of people. But I would not be so optimistic as to ignore all ‘power’ struggles, however relative that may be.

      <![if !supportLists]>4.      <![endif]>My impression is you are still very afraid of any ‘decision-making’, of positions that might be taken by the APW. Will it ever be possible to arrive at real consensus? I am not promoting this decision-making, but I do not want to exclude it a priori.

      <![if !supportLists]>5.      <![endif]>Will the APW only convene when there is a World Social Forum or also at thematic or regional forums? Who will still be able in the future to organize WSF? GRAPS can go their own way …

      <![if !supportLists]>6.      <![endif]>Are there any thoughts on financial contributions to APW or GRAP?

      <![if !supportLists]>7.      <![endif]>It seems to me the ‘power’ is shifted from IC to GRAPs, with less possibilities for global action, and more focus on regional issues.

      <![if !supportLists]>8.      <![endif]>I also wonder, yes there may still be WSFs, but is the dissolution of the IC not the beginning of the end? I have no answer.

      Van: Chico - UOL [mailto:chicowf@...] Verzonden: 06 January 2013 19:58Aan: wg-about-future@...: [WG about future] Chico Whitaker texts in doc

      It seems rtf does not open. L'archive en rtf ne semble pas ouvrir.O arquivo em rtf parece que não está abrindo.Thanks, Chico Whitaker

      • Re: RE: Chico Whitaker texts in doc

        from gina on Jan 08, 2013 04:11 PM
        2013/1/7 chicowf <chicowf@...>

> [...]
        >

        > <![if !supportLists]>5.      <![endif]>Will the APW only convene when
        > there is a World Social Forum or also at thematic or regional forums? Who
        > will still be able in the future to organize WSF? GRAPS can go their own
        > way …
        >

        > <![if !supportLists]>6.      <![endif]>Are there any thoughts on
        > financial contributions to APW or GRAP?
        >

        > <![if !supportLists]>7.      <![endif]>It seems to me the ‘power’ is
        > shifted from IC to GRAPs, with less possibilities for global action, and
        > more focus on regional issues.
        >

        > <![if !supportLists]>8.      <![endif]>I also wonder, yes there may still
        > be WSFs, but is the dissolution of the IC not the beginning of the end? I
        > have no answer.
        >

        > These are my first thoughts.
        >
        > Let us hope we can discuss it all.
        >

        > I wish you all, and especially you Chico, a very happy and healthy 2013.

          from longwe5000 on Jan 09, 2013 09:14 AM
          Thanks Chico for your positive vision of future global mobilisation &
          coordination mechanisms for our unforgettable WSF. We in the Southern
          Africa Social Forum Regional Organising Committee (SASFROC) more or less
          operate on similar principles that you've outlined in your text.
          Happy New Year to us all and hopefully meet again in Tunis!
          Sara

          On 8 January 2013 18:08, gina vargas <ginvargas@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >>

          >> <![if !supportLists]>5.      <![endif]>Will the APW only convene when
          >> there is a World Social Forum or also at thematic or regional forums? Who
          >> will still be able in the future to organize WSF? GRAPS can go their own
          >> way …
          >>

          >> <![if !supportLists]>6.      <![endif]>Are there any thoughts on
          >> financial contributions to APW or GRAP?
          >>

          >> <![if !supportLists]>7.      <![endif]>It seems to me the ‘power’ is
          >> shifted from IC to GRAPs, with less possibilities for global action, and
          >> more focus on regional issues.
          >>

          >> <![if !supportLists]>8.      <![endif]>I also wonder, yes there may
          >> still be WSFs, but is the dissolution of the IC not the beginning of the
          >> end? I have no answer.
          >>

          >> These are my first thoughts.
          >>
          >> Let us hope we can discuss it all.
          >>

          >> I wish you all, and especially you Chico, a very happy and healthy 2013.

          Longwe Clarke & Associates
          Development Consultants
          36 Villa Wanga, Chelston. P.O. 37090, Lusaka, Zambia
          Tel: +260-1-283484/283646; Fax: 260-1-283646; Cell: +260 97 786915
          E-mail: longwe5000@...

    • Re: Chico Whitaker texts in doc

      from Chico - UOL on Jan 16, 2013 03:29 PM
      Dear Francine and Gina,
      My two or three days to answer to you became one or two weeks... Not
      only other engagements took my time but specially the notes I decided to
      wrote demanded much time for reflection... In fact, trying to make more
      clear my proposal, in particular in what concerns the GRAPs, I
      discovered more aspects I had not seen, and I understood better my own
      proposal... I have to thank you for giving me this opportunity...
      So, you will see annexed the notes I wrote. I will put below your
      questions and answer more rapidly(in red) what was not considered in the
      notes.
      I wrote the notes directly in my bad English. So...
      It seems I will have not time to translate them to French and Spanish. I
      will ask for Babels people but it will be not so easy. If  you can help
      me it would be great.
      Let us continue, Chico Whitaker

      Le 07/01/2013 19:06, Francine Mestrum a écrit :

> [...]
      > notes)
      >
      > 2.*I understand this as a de facto 'decentralization' of the WSF
      > process* with the main decision-making power lying with the GRAPS. NO,
      > see notes. Participants from countries or regions with less
      > organizational capacity, funds or with less 'advocates' of the WSF
      > process -- take Belgium -- may get marginalized. Participants without
      > GRAP may have difficulty making their voice heard, or not? See notes,
      > specially 18.
      >
      > 3.Can there not be a problem with 'individual' membership? We all know
      > the old tricks of the left: have all members of one single
      > organization register, and they automatically have a majority ...(see
      > note 20) I very much like your comparison of the IC with an 'affinity
      > group', I think you are right for a small core of people (but all of
      > us greet warmly the others when arriving in the IC meetings. We are at
      > least good friends...). But I would not be so optimistic as to ignore
      > all 'power' struggles, however relative that may be. Yes, but we would
      > overcome it more easily without IC and its doubious non directing
      > functions...
      >
      > 4.My impression is you are still very afraid of any 'decision-making',
      > of positions that might be taken by the APW. Will it ever be possible
      > to arrive at real consensus? (see note 20) I am not promoting this
      > decision-making, but I do not want to exclude it a priori. See notes.
      > We could discuss it better. Which decisions the IC takes now in fact?
      > Next WSF and creation of Working Groups (about the decisions to be
      > taken...).
      >
      > 5.Will the APW only convene when there is a World Social Forum or also
      > at thematic or regional forums? For regional or thematic questions the
      > APW participants of these forums could naturally take decisions, but
      > not on behalf of all the APW. And at the world and general level, the
      > APW participants could also suggest world meetings in between the
      > World Foruns. Who will still be able in the future to organize WSF?
      > GRAPS can go their own way ... Not the GRAPs but local organisations
      > and movements when decided where the World Foums would take place, as
      > it happens now.
      >
      > 6.Are there any thoughts on financial contributions to APW or GRAP?
      > Not so much, but see notes point 18 and my other previous texts.
      >
      > 7.It seems to me the 'power' is shifted from IC to GRAPs, with less
      > possibilities for global action, and more focus on regional
      > issues.Absolutely No. See notes
      >
      > 8.I also wonder, yes there may still be WSFs, but is the dissolution
      > of the IC not the beginning of the end? Also absolutely no. It would
      > be a new and different stage of the WSF process. I have no answer.
      > different
      >
      > These are my first thoughts.
      >
      > Let us hope we can discuss it all.
      >
      > I wish you all, and especially you Chico, a very happy and healthy 2013.

      TAKING NOW GINA QUESTIONS

      Dear Chico, thanks for all these elements to reflect and to begin to
      have a clearer picture of possible changes in the dynamics leading to
      another possible world. Thank you...

      The proposal for a "new movement" with a new charter of principles,
      assumed by individuals / people, not institutions, along with the
      principles of horizontality, decentralization seems very suggestive.

        I am worry, as Francine, about several things, of which only dwell on
      some particular points that are tricky for me:

      -In relation to the possible Charter of Principles of the new movement:
      ... to create a new political culture as a necessary tool for the
      advancement of the struggle to overcome neoliberalism is not enough.
      Atthis stage of the process, is absolutely indispensable to explicit
      guidance from the broad field which we work, as for example to overcome
      capitalism(and not only neoliberalism), patriarchy, racism, homophobia,
      making in this way explicit some of the most pressing dimensions for
      which bet on the exchange. We would no have to "repeat" in the APW
      Charter of Principles the WSF one. We could complete and even ameliorate
      many things, maintaining the spirit of the WSF process.

      -

      -I don t have clarity yet about the relationship with the FSM I. If it
      is almost reduce to the choice of location, the risk is that this
      decision originated tensions and power plays, as has been the experience
      of several previous experiences. Remember how was taken the decision to
      organize the WSF in Belem 2009: the decision was made by consensus after
      almost being obliged to accept that the next one should be in Dakar,
      indicating that consensus can also be intransigent blackmail (see point
      20 of my notes). The proposed sites for the headquarters of the Forums
      may have important reasons relating to movements, possible logistical
      facilities, etc. Or they can be extremely arbitrary, cares more for
      personal or small groups. Yes, but with all the new things introduced, I
      am expecting we would be more able to overcome these difficulties,
      coming always from the dubious IC function (directing or not the WSF) as
      well as from the old political culture we are exactly trying to overcome.

      -That also means rethinking the mechanisms to achieve consensus (see
      point 20). As Francine, I'm not necessarily against it; I think the
      reach of consensus can be a very democratic practice and articulation.
      At the same time, in instances, groups, or people with weak democratic
      political culture can be a double-edged sword.

      -The preparation of the Forums is blurred for me: as proposed, what were
      the functions of the committees would become features of this new
      movement? In the final convergence of the Forum, without statements, as
      has been claimed to do so far, would be the space of the new movement (O
      Graps articulated?) to decide where, how and when these forums were
      held?. How will be the relationship with-the organizers of these forums?
      How to maintain a global perspective of the board and not just national
      or, at best, regional, in the preparation of the Forums? Many questions.
      See my notes but let us continue to discuss.

      I THINK THAT IS ALL I AM ABLE TO SAY FOR THE MOMENT.

      Hoping to continue, fraternally, Chico Whitaker

        from mestrum on Jan 16, 2013 09:33 PM
        Thanks a lot Chico!

        I will be travelling in the coming days, but will read the text next week.

        Francine

[...]

        notes. Participants from countries or regions with less organizational
[...]

        Absolutely No. See notes

[...]

        9.       In relation to the possible Charter of Principles of the new
        movement: ... to create a new political culture as a necessary tool for the
        advancement of the struggle to overcome neoliberalism is not enough. At
        this stage of the process, is absolutely indispensable to explicit guidance
        from the broad field which we work, as for example to overcome capitalism
        (and not only neoliberalism), patriarchy, racism, homophobia, making in this
        way explicit some of the most pressing dimensions for which bet on the
        exchange. We would no have to "repeat" in the APW Charter of Principles the
        WSF one. We could complete and even ameliorate many things, maintaining the
        spirit of the WSF process.

        10.

        11.   I don t have clarity yet about the relationship with the FSM I. If it
[...]

        12.    That also means rethinking the mechanisms to achieve consensus (see
        point 20). As Francine, I'm not necessarily against it; I think the reach of
        consensus can be a very democratic practice and articulation. At the same
        time, in instances, groups, or people with weak democratic political culture
        can be a double-edged sword.

        13.   The preparation of the Forums is blurred for me: as proposed, what
        were the functions of the committees would become features of this new
        movement? In the final convergence of the Forum, without statements, as has
        been claimed to do so far, would be the space of the new movement (O Graps
        articulated?) to decide where, how and when these forums were held?. How
        will be the relationship with-the organizers of these forums? How to
        maintain a global perspective of the board and not just national or, at
        best, regional, in the preparation of the Forums? Many questions. See my
        notes but let us continue to discuss.

        14.   I THINK THAT IS ALL I AM ABLE TO SAY FOR THE MOMENT.

        15.   Hoping to continue, fraternally, Chico Whitaker

        O arquivo em rtf parece que não está abrindo.

        Thanks, Chico Whitaker

        --
        Archive: http://openfsm.net/[
        <http://openfsm.net/projects/wsfic_fsmci/lists/wg-about-future/archive/2013/
        01/1357498850972> …]/1357498850972

        Archive: http://openfsm.net/[
        <http://openfsm.net/projects/wsfic_fsmci/lists/wg-about-future/archive/2013/
        01/1357592978161> …]/1357592978161

        Aucun virus trouvé dans ce message.
        Analyse effectuée par AVG - www.avg.fr
        Version: 2013.0.2805 / Base de données virale: 2637/6015 - Date: 07/01/2013

        • Re: Chico Whitaker texts in doc

          from gina on Jan 16, 2013 10:03 PM
          Gracias Chico! yo tambien estoy viajando mañana, pero llevo tus reflexiones
          para verlas en el camino. Regreso el 20.

          besos

          gina