• 2011movements-fsm discussion

Re: Assemblies want to take control on water in grece

from marknbarrett@... on May 01, 2013 07:45 PM
Both items tweeted @panworldwide ( the Twitter feed in support of www.peoplesassemblies.org )
Sent from phone

-----Original Message-----
From: Rami Brahem <rami.brahem@...>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 19:13:53
To: <2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion@...>
Subject: Re: [2011movements-fsm discussion] Assemblies want to take control
	on water in grece

http://www.136.gr/article/what-initiative-136

  What is Initiative 136?

*Initiative 136 is a citizens' initiative that opposes the privatization
of the Water and Sanitation Company in Thessaloniki and proposes its
social management through local-level cooperatives. *

In Greece we are living in an exeptional situation where public debt is
used as an excuse for the privatization of many public goods and
services. In February 9th the Greek Parliament ratified the second
"rescue" memorandum and turned it into State Law. With this law, all the
privatization procedures that had been voted in 8 months ago (June 2011)
are speeded up causing a severe deterioration in the standard of living
of the Greek people and the selling off of our national wealth. Under
the auspices of the International Monetary Fund and the European
Commission, the Greek government puts on public tender, among many
others assets, the Water and Sanitation Company of Thessaloniki (EYATH),
even though it is an efficient and profitable company that offers
quality water services in low prices, without ever reporting any
financial loss. The Greek government, after breaking up the company into
two parts - the first one responsible for the management and invoicing
and the second for  infrastructures and maintenance -- has the intention
to sell the first one, the most profitable, in a public tender, while
the second one will remain in hands of the state.

According to the new law 40% of the shares and the management of EYATH
is for sale. The company's profits during the last 5 years were EUR75
million, while the price of the takeover (after the collapse of its
stock market value) is not more than EUR55 million. In 2010, EYATH's
profits were EUR12,4 million, while in 2011 EUR20,1 million. This is
another case of implementation of the model "privatization of the
profits, socialization of the loss". Water is the ultimate commodity
that nature offers us and the United Nations have recognized that the
access to clean water and sanitation is a human right. According to
recent polls, the citizens oppose the privatization of water. The myth
of 'efficiency' of private management has collapsed, since dozens of
scientific researches prove that all over the world, wherever
privatization of water services has been applied, it proved to undermine
water quality, increase water loss, undermine the infrastructure and
increase water prices.

Apart from defending the water of Thessaloniki, Initiative 136 aims to
highlight the alternative prospects that are offered to the citizens and
the Greek people who can, under the current crisis condition , take the
matters that affect them into their own hands. We believe that this
potential can be fulfilled through a cooperative movement which combines
community solidarity and environmental respect; a movement of Social
Economy that offers an alternative to the capitalist course of action; a
productive and economic model that combines collective ownership and
individual incentive. The sustainable water management lies in the core
of such an initiative that respects the environment and protects the
natural resources through a public, nonprofit, democratic, socially
controlled and rational usage.

*If one divides the estimated value of EYATH by the number of the water
meters (namely the number of the users), the result is the symbolic
number of 136 euros. The idea behind Initiative 136 was born in the
summer of 2011. *

It was the result of the discussions that took place in Thessaloniki, in
the White Tower assemblies of the squares movement ("Indignados"). On
the 10th of August, the workers of EYATH, social movements,
organizations and citizens of Thessaloniki, decided that *we are not
willing to let anyone play *with the water our families drink; *we will
not allow any financial interests -- foreign or national -- to*
*speculate with* our water and jeopardize the public health and
environment of our area. The ownership of EYATH *is now a* *matter for
the citizens *of Thessaloniki.

*We decided to join our forces in a common endeavour under the name
'Initiative 136', whose purposes are: *

- *The acquisition of 40% and the management of EYATH by the citizens. *

- *Social control of the city's water*

- *Democratic operation of the company*

- *The non-profit character of the company, in line with social policies
and environmental protection. *

In this effort, we invited all citizens to actively participate. We are
also in contact with all the Mayors and Municipal Councils of
Thessaloniki´s metropolitan area, as well as many of social and
professional organizations. The overwhelming majority supports our
initiative, which made its first public presentation on the 28th of
November, 2011. Many cooperatives have already been created in the
region of Thessaloniki, with thousands of pre-signed members. It is now
becoming clear that the only way to defend the common goods is through
social management and solidarity.

Get in touch with Initiative 136 on *info@...* <mailto:info@...>

--
Archive: http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/05/1367432435259