• 2011movements-fsm discussion

  • 17th November: Global Day of Action for Free Education

    from facilitfsm on Nov 06, 2014 10:56 AM
    Some 2013/2014 information here
    http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf

    *De :* Luke Shore [mailto:luke@...]
    *Envoyé :* jeudi 23 octobre 2014 01:32
    *À :* Luke Shore
    *Objet :* [Occupy & WSF discussion] 17th November: Global Day of Action for
    Free Education

    *International Students' Day, 17th November 2014, will see a global day of
    action for free education. With some of the biggest student unions in the
    world on board, get ready for a global wave of occupations
    and demonstrations for free education!*

    The call for action
    <http://www.obessu.org/wp-content/uploads/Global-call-for-action-PDF1.pdf>
    demands an education: free from costs and fees; free from discrimination;
    and free from fear. Student activists and student organisations around the
    world are invited to *co-sign the call* in support of free education! To
    add your name or organisation, contact Luke Shore at this email address:
    luke[at]obessu [dot] org.

    *Please share the call with your networks around the world and through your
    communications channels: let's catalyse a global student fightback!*

    *Facebook event: *https://www.facebook.com/events/346658748842350/

    *#17now #freeeducation*

    GLOBAL CALL FOR ACTION: INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS’ DAY

    On International Students’ Day, 17th November 2014, we call on student
    organisations around the world to stand up for *free education*. On 17th
    November, we commemorate past student struggles
    <http://www.obessu.org/17novemberhistory>and draw attention to the current
    ones. In 2014, as policy makers around the world gather to set a global
    education framework in the Post-2015 Development Agenda, we take action to
    assert the common student interest. We declare, most fundamentally
    that: *education
    is a right*.  To guarantee the educational, civic and social rights of
    students and citizens, *we demand free education*; which means an education
    that is, at all levels:

    *FREE OF COSTS AND FEES*

    Education is not a commodity to be bought and sold but the key to the
    development of an informed and emancipated society. Education must remain a
    public responsibility, in service of the public good. The universal right
    to education should be guaranteed through the abolition of all financial
    barriers to education, including tuition fees and hidden costs. *Education
    is a right, not a privilege!*

    *FREE OF DISCRIMINATION*

    Education systems often replicate the oppressive structures of wider
    society, perpetuating discrimination and social inequality. Instead,
    educational institutions must actively deconstruct prejudice and
    stereotypes to ensure the equal rights of all people in education and in
    society. *Education is a path to emancipation!*

    *FREE OF FEAR*

    Increasingly, students are targeted by institutions, governments and
    regimes in their imposition of damaging educational and social reforms.
    Those in power must live up to their responsibilities: upholding students’
    rights to express themselves and organise without fear; protecting students
    in conflict and guaranteeing their right to engage in civil society. *Student
    rights are human rights!*

    *--*

    We, the undersigned, call on student organisations around the world to
    unite in solidarity on 17th November: to defend our rights and stand
    up for *free
    education*, to take collective action to fight for fairer education systems
    and juster societies for all.