• 2011movements-fsm discussion

Re: [WSF-Discuss] fw: Message de Chico Whitaker, co-fondateur des FSM, au Collectif FSM 2016

from Orsan on Jul 18, 2015 08:15 PM
Google En translation:

Dear members of the Organizing Collective 2016 World Social Forum.

I just received the information about the letter that the Mayor of Porto Alegre sent to the Mayor of Montreal, inviting him to participate in the Thematic Social Forum to be held in his city in January 2016, in which the balance will be made 15 years of the World Social Forum process in preparation of the 2016 World Social Forum to be held in Montreal in August of the same year.

This is good news because it means that the two City Councils can help each other to ensure the success of the WSF in Montreal.

However, it is important that we always keep in mind that the support given by governments for achieving the forum is fundamental, but they are an independent initiative of civil society, both as regards the relationship with governments as with the parties and companies in accordance with our Charter of Principles.

I make this observation knowing that the organization Collectif WSF 2016 shortly discuss details of the support to receive services from the city of Montreal and will be useful to avoid misunderstandings.

I take the liberty to do so because, as one of the co-founders of the World Social Forum process, which accompany it since its inception, I know the importance of government support of the city and the country where they are realized, when they share the utopia of "another possible world" pursued by the Forums. But it is necessary that both the organizers and governments clearly see that although this support is essential, it does not diminish the autonomy of civil society as an event promoter.

I have no doubts about the aid that the City of Montreal, aware of the nature of these events and the benefits they provide to citizens, give the WSF in 2016. By our experience, greater participation in World Social Forums - always tens of thousands of people - were people and organizations of the city and the country in which they are made. This makes them an extraordinary opportunity for training and encouragement to these individuals and organizations, enabling them to learn about other experiences of action for "another possible world" and talk with his actors, from various regions of the earth. Forums and renew, for its participants, hopes to overcome the severe social threats, economic, political and environmental that humanity faces.

But we must also be aware that the decision to organize, in Montreal, the 2016 World Social Forum, proposed by Canadian participants was made with great joy by the International Council of the WSF after the WSF 2015, but was clear to all that this decision was creating new challenges as you remember surely.

The first of them was the fact that for the first time, a World Social Forum to be held in the North.

There was also the realization that in the group that would organize the WSF in 2016 there would be a greater participation of young people (which corresponded to what the WSF International Council has long sought but did not get it);

And there was still the knowledge that it is particularly difficult to obtain entry visas to Canada (which could reduce the participation of civil society in many countries).

This challenge is a clear example of the need for government support. In the case of Montreal, we of course hope that the city government can support efforts to ensure that the federal Government of Canada facilitates the issuing of visas for the inhabitants of the city have a maximum exchanges enabled by the Forum.

But I am sure of the success of the WSF 2016. In addition, of course, government support, there has experience in Montreal in the organization of two Social Forums Premises - where those of us who able to participate were extremely well received by the population of the city. And leading Canadian delegations participated in the World Social Forums already made.

Thanking for the attention you can give this letter, I wish you good work, for which you can count on our full support to the extent of our possibilities.

A big "abraço" do Chico Whitaker

> On 18 jul. 2015, at 12:12, jasper teunissen <jasperteunissen@...> wrote:
>

> http://www.fsm2016.org/message-de-chico-whitaker-co-fondateur-des-fsm-au-collectif-fsm-2016/
>
> Message de Chico Whitaker, co-fondateur des FSM, au Collectif FSM 2016
> 16 juillet 2015Appuis, Forums sociauxCarminda Mac Lorin
> Chers membres du Collectif d’organisation du Forum Social Mondial de 2016.
>
> Je viens de recevoir l’information à propos de la lettre que le Maire de Porto Alegre a envoyée au Maire de Montréal, l’invitant à participer au Forum Social Thématique qui aura lieu dans sa ville en janvier 2016, dans lequel on fera le bilan des 15 ans du processus du Forum Social Mondial, en préparation du Forum Social Mondial de 2016 qui se tiendra à Montréal au mois d’août de la même année.
>
> C’est une bonne nouvelle, car cela signifie que les deux Mairies peuvent s’entraider pour assurer le succès du FSM à Montréal.
>
> Toutefois, il est important que nous gardons toujours à l’esprit que le soutien apporté par les gouvernements pour la réalisation des forums est fondamental, mais ceux-ci sont une initiative autonome de la société civile, tant en ce qui concerne la relation avec les gouvernements comme avec les parties et les entreprises, conformément à notre Charte des Principes.
>
> Je fais cette observation en sachant que le Collectif d’organisation du FSM de 2016 discutera prochainement des détails du soutien à recevoir des services de la ville de Montréal et il sera utile d’éviter des malentendus.
>
> Je prends la liberté de le faire parce que, comme l’un des co-fondateurs du processus du Forum Social Mondial, qui l’accompagnent depuis sa création, je connais l’importance de l’appui des gouvernements de la ville et du pays où ils se réalisent, quand ils partagent l’utopie d’ »un autre monde possible » poursuivie par les Forums. Mais il est nécessaire que tant les organisateurs comme les gouvernements voient clairement que, bien que ce soutien soit essentiel, il ne diminue pas l’autonomie de la société civile en tant que promoteur de l’événement.

> [...]

Return to date view: threaded or flat