• Communication commission discussion

Fwd: Can war be abolished? A Peace Education Enquiry

from Azril Bacal on Aug 23, 2017 11:56 AM
Queridos amigos,
Compartiendo un intercambio de opiniones sobre un tema de interés común.
Abrazos polares
Azril
________________

Ref: A Peace Education Inquiry

Dear Klaus,

First of all, thank you for sharing your valuable paper with me. I will
certainly read it and send my comments to you, in the next days.

My inmediate response without having yet read your paper, just commenting
on some topics you include in your mail:

1) I increasingly regard the so-called "Security Council" as an "insecurity
council," as Evo Morales calls it - for reasons that you likely understand.

2) India with Modi and the growing influence of Hindu
Nationalism/Fundamentalism, at the expense of secular India, does not
appeal to me in the in-security (assuming China does not veto this idea,
which is unlikely)

3) Gandhi's idea of a world federation does not change the basic problem of
the UN project, namely, that most members of this world club of
national-states are not democratic, namely, if the base is undemocratic how
to expect that the UN or the world-federation of undemocratic
national-states to be "democratic"??? In this respect, we should maybe
support the efforts to democratize local governments as a way to help
"democratize democracy" as Boaventura de Souza Santos proposes.

4) The political will of the de facto powers in the insecurity council is
to profit from the death industry, and noticeable not to support a world of
justice, peace and solidarity.

5) Perpetual peace in the spirit of Kant will come about, when "we, the
peoples of the world" have a say on the matter.

Warm regards
Azril

> From: Dr. Klaus Schlichtmann <kschlichtmann@...>
> Date: Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM
> Subject: Re: Can war be abolished? A Peace Education Enquiry
> To: Azril Bacal <bazril@...>
>

> Dear Dr. Bacel!
>
> Allow me to share. Your comments will be welcome.
>
> I would like to know a,) your take on the UN Charter concept of the
> transition, second b.) on the prospect of a European permanent
> representation in the Security Council, third c.) on Britain and India
> coming to an agreement with regards to an Indian representation in the
> Security Council, and last d.) on Mahatma Gandhi's idea of a world
> federation. These are the major issues addressed in my draft paper
> (attached).
>
> Related are: (1) the Hague Peace Conferences 1899 and 1907, which wanted to
> abolish war already and institutionalize the peaceful settlement of
> international disputes and (2) the war-abolishing Article 9 of the Japanese
> Constitution, as well (3) as Germany's and others' continued opposition to
> the Anti-Militarism and Pacifism of the UN Charter and constitutional law,
> and (4) the German, and other, mostly European Constitutions, and how they
> relate to Articles 24 and 106 of the UN Charter.
>
> Tell me if you think that, given the political will, what I am suggesting
> is
> doable (and the arguments well founded), or, if not, that we are heading
> toward perpetual war, not perpetual peace.
>
> Yours
>
> Dr. Klaus Schlichtmann
> +81-(0)80-1061-5769
> https://klausschlichtmann.academia.edu/research