• Communication commission discussion

Re: Fwd: Re: [nigd-list] from Nepal

from chris williams on Mar 16, 2018 09:27 AM
Dear Azril

Re Proposal 1.  Australia is a fertile ground for indigenous resistances.  For
some time now, this resistance has culminated each January 26.  The key themes
in recent times have been the Stolen Generation, Closing the Gap and
Constitutional recognition. These resistances have moved from the Lonely
Voices phase to popular support, including beyond indigenous communities.
They have encountered kickback from political elites and vested interests,
although support from the street grows from year to year.

The issue about Place of Resistance is challenging.  Uluru holds mystical
attractions amongst the 300 indigenous nations, but was recently betrayed by
neoliberal political forces.  I feel Redfern in central Sydney may be a more
productive option, although some will surely seek to return to Uluru.

Hoping some of the above can fit into the schedule discussed in Nepal. Please
alert if there is anything that you or other participants need.

in solidarity
chris

Return to date view: threaded or flat