• Communication commission discussion

Re: Abstracts

from chris williams on Oct 09, 2019 02:04 PM
Dear Francine and Azril

Don't be surprised by this voice from the back, but not outside, of the tent.
I sometimes contribute to Ciranda, and I must be equally puzzling to the
Brazilians.

I can only tremble at the emotional distress being felt by many involved in
this cuurent review - I hope you two are OK.

Montreal had to happen, warts and all.  Have first-world WSF venues ever
worked, with the political antagonisms (eg withheld visas) and costs?
Montreal had to test this, on behalf of all other possible first-world venues,
and the betterment of WSF/FSM as a whole. Hoping to see you in Barcelona, next
June.

'Political/politics' seems to be an increasing discussion point, but I feel
many are talking at cross-purposes.  We should monitor/fix our language usage
as 2020 approaches.  Example: Green New Deal is an internal US Democratic
Party construct in the leadup to their 2020 Presidential elections.  What am I
to make of an India-based activist who promotes GND as part of WSFTE2020?  As
a political construct, it doesn't work outside continental USA, unless WSF
wishes to expand it into a 'world political construct'.

Talk of rivalries must puzzle many who are not involved in the day-to-day,
argy-bargy of IC.  On the Left, our MO is solidarity.  Rivalry implies
extensive, wasted efforts to protect turf and/or ego, by the precious or the
antagonistic.  Toughen up.

Enough said,
in solidarity
chris
On Oct 07, 2019 01:19 PM, Azril Bacal wrote:
> Dear Francine,
> Thank you very much for your reaction!!!
> It is not me to "allow" your response. It was my aim to trigger dialogue,
> and that why I copied the alluded mail to you.
> Your reflections are valuable, valued and warmly welcomed in my humble eyes.
> In other words, our dialogue has already began as intended with Erik's and
> your feedback.
> My preliminary answer is that irrespective of my views on ego-imperialism
> and the role of the human factor in the ongoing debate on the future of the
> social forum/the future social forum, "fundamental political conflict" is
> managed in different ways, ranging from "confrontational" -vs- dialogical
> ways, from Robespierre and Stalin's ways - to Gandhi, Martin Luther King,
> Jr., César Chávez and Greta Thunberg.
> While not able to attend the last IC sessions because of lack of funds or
> hospitalization, I did read everything I could concerning the arguments and
> disputes.
> What I learned from the Montreal meeting made me glad not to attend it! I
> understood then that if the human factor is nor dealt with and resolved the
> whole WSF process goes kaput.
> The success to bring together the "two" (maybe more) strands of thinking
> concerning the WSF ultimately depends on each and all of us.
> Even Mao distinguished between fundamental and non-fundamental
> contradictions!
> Should we do like king Salomon suggested and cut the baby in two forums to
> please both contending "mothers"? 😁
> Should we throw the baby with the water?
> I wished to be wrong concerning the role played by the "human factor" in
> this conflict, I really do, dear Francine!
> I wish Many Wallerstein, Aníbal Quijano, and Samir Amin were alive to
> enrich our dialogue!
> Abrazo
> /Azril
>

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 11:52 PM francine mestrum <mestrum@...> wrote:
>
> > Dear Azril,
> >
> > Allow me to react to your email to Jennifer (whom  I do not know, my
> > apologies).
> >
> > I more particularly want to react to this:
> >
> > “the impasse between a chorus of voices that endanger the survival and
> > sustainability of the only existing Planetarian open space where organized
> > civil society (social movements and NGOs) are able to meet, exchange
> > views,
learn from each other, support each other, articulate actions,
> > and so on.
> >

> > Unfortunately, at present time, differences of opinion have escalated to
> > the level of rivalry and worse among key players in the WSF process. In my
> > humble view, this situation owes more to ego-imperialism than to
> > ideological or theoretical discrepancies. We, humans, are no easy stuff! “
> >

> > The WSF, dear Azril, is endangered by a fundamental political conflict,
> > not by ego-imperialism and only very marginally by ideology.
> >
> > I belong to a ‘chorus of voices’ that believes the WSF can only be
> > relevant if it has a political voice, if it can give voice to worldwide
> > resistances, and if it can start to shape alternatives. The other ‘chorus
> > of voices’ believes it is enough to have an ‘open space’ where all can
> > come
and do their thing, go home and be happy about so many new contacts
> > and
about the feelings of solidarity.

> > In a world with clearly emerging fascism, with declining multilateralism,
> > democracy and human rights, we believe this cannot be sufficient. It is a
> > conflict between those who believe that workshops on hiphop, the role of
> > sports for the emancipation of women and local commons are witnesses of
> > the
vitality of local communities, and these local communities are the
> > ‘new
world’, while transnational finance and corporations continue to
> > rule the
world and shape the conditions in which local communities can
> > live. They
are faced with those who believe these local communities are
> > important, but
if they are to flourish, we will also have to tackle the
> > global forces, we
will have to change the framework in which local
> > communities can organize
themselves.

> > It is a conflict between those who want to change the lives of people, and
> > those who want to also change the world. The WSF should be, we think about
> > ‘Another world is possible’, not only ‘another life is possible’.
> >
> > My ‘chorus of voices’ believes the ‘open market space’ of local
> > initiatives should continue to exist, but next to it, there should be
> > political debates and their should be a political voice that speaks to the
> > world. The WSF is indeed the only gathering with a potential to do this.
> > If
not, the last intellectuals who come to the forum will also leave it,
> > as
have so many before them. We want the WSF to be politically relevant.

> > Unfortunately, the other ‘chorus of voices’ is afraid of politics,
> > believes the left right divide ceased to exist and hence does not see the
> > need for the WSF to have a voice. They want a world unchanged, where
> > activists are killed in silence, where local groups can whisper their
> > resistance.
> >
> > You probably are not aware of these fundamental divergences, Azril, since
> > it is several years now you have not been in an IC meeting. If you succeed
> > in bringing together these two strands of thinking in Porto Alegre, you
> > will have done a great job.
> >
> > But please do not present it as a struggle of ego’s, that is simply not
> > correct.
> >
> > Warmly,
> >
> > Francine Mestrum
> >
> > Op 06/10/2019 om 19:59 schreef Azril Bacal:
> >
> > the impasse between a chorus of voices that endanger the survival and
> > sustainability of the only existing Planetarian open space where organized
> > civil society (social movements and NGOs) are able to meet, exchange
> > views,
learn from each other, support each other, articulate actions,
> > and so on.
> >
> > Unfortunately, at present time, differences of opinion have escalated to
> > the level of rivalry and worse among key players in the WSF process. In my
> > humble view, this situation owes more to ego-imperialism than to
> > ideological or theoretical discrepancies. We, humans, are no easy stuff!

Return to date view: threaded or flat