• 2011movements-fsm discussion

  • Open Assembly in the Alter Summit in Greece

    from Sol on May 01, 2013 05:10 PM
    Hello people,

    Maybe some of you know the big event that is being organized in Athens
    7-8 of June, the Alter Summit www.altersummit.eu
    <http://www.altersummit.eu> .

    This effort is trying to build a big alliance of European trade unions,
    civil society organizations and social movements in order to create a
    counter-power that confronts the neoliberal Europe.

    Despite of the fact that the involvement of Trade Unions makes difficult
    the creation of an open process, some organizations: The Transnational
    Institute (TNI) and Corporate Europe Observatory (CEO), are initiating
    an open process to prepare an Assembly on June 7^th in Athens on the
    area of Economic governance & the Troika.

    We would like to invite you to participate in the preparation of this
    Assembly which we propose to kick start with a Conference call on
    *Monday afternoon May 6th*.The objective with the call is to make sure
    we have a proposal for a preparatory meeting in Zagreb 10-11. May.

    We attach a doodle to determine the most suitable time.
    http://doodle.com/ymkvtygpnb85cu5q - to determine the most suitable time
    - you can also just indicate your availability here - between
    14.00-15.00; or 15.00-16.00 or 16.00-17.00:

    For the agenda of this Tel Conference, we are suggesting to discuss the
    following:

     > What objectives and aims for the Assembly?

     > What title for the Assembly?

     > What Format for the assembly?

     > What Methodology for the Assembly?

     > Which logistics/resources we need for the Assembly?

    Please share also other points you have for the agenda.

    We propose to do the call via Tel Conference. This system costs will at
    local call price, the details to connect will be provided.

    Please fill the Doodle and write back to
    me<mailto:soltrumbovila@...> by Friday at 13.00 to confirm if you
    can be at the call and if you and your group would like to be part of
    the preparations.

    We hope you will be able to participate in this preparatory process -
    even if you might not be going to Athens - as we believe the preparation
    will be quite important in achieving a good outcome in Athens and for a
    greater convergence of European movements and struggles for the rest of
    2013 and beyond.

    With best greetings!

    Sol

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Assemblies want to take control on water in grece

    from Rami Brahem on May 01, 2013 06:20 PM
    http://www.136.gr/article/what-initiative-136

      What is Initiative 136?

    *Initiative 136 is a citizens' initiative that opposes the privatization
    of the Water and Sanitation Company in Thessaloniki and proposes its
    social management through local-level cooperatives. *

    In Greece we are living in an exeptional situation where public debt is
    used as an excuse for the privatization of many public goods and
    services. In February 9th the Greek Parliament ratified the second
    "rescue" memorandum and turned it into State Law. With this law, all the
    privatization procedures that had been voted in 8 months ago (June 2011)
    are speeded up causing a severe deterioration in the standard of living
    of the Greek people and the selling off of our national wealth. Under
    the auspices of the International Monetary Fund and the European
    Commission, the Greek government puts on public tender, among many
    others assets, the Water and Sanitation Company of Thessaloniki (EYATH),
    even though it is an efficient and profitable company that offers
    quality water services in low prices, without ever reporting any
    financial loss. The Greek government, after breaking up the company into
    two parts - the first one responsible for the management and invoicing
    and the second for  infrastructures and maintenance -- has the intention
    to sell the first one, the most profitable, in a public tender, while
    the second one will remain in hands of the state.

    According to the new law 40% of the shares and the management of EYATH
    is for sale. The company's profits during the last 5 years were EUR75
    million, while the price of the takeover (after the collapse of its
    stock market value) is not more than EUR55 million. In 2010, EYATH's
    profits were EUR12,4 million, while in 2011 EUR20,1 million. This is
    another case of implementation of the model "privatization of the
    profits, socialization of the loss". Water is the ultimate commodity
    that nature offers us and the United Nations have recognized that the
    access to clean water and sanitation is a human right. According to
    recent polls, the citizens oppose the privatization of water. The myth
    of 'efficiency' of private management has collapsed, since dozens of
    scientific researches prove that all over the world, wherever
    privatization of water services has been applied, it proved to undermine
    water quality, increase water loss, undermine the infrastructure and
    increase water prices.

    Apart from defending the water of Thessaloniki, Initiative 136 aims to
    highlight the alternative prospects that are offered to the citizens and
    the Greek people who can, under the current crisis condition , take the
    matters that affect them into their own hands. We believe that this
    potential can be fulfilled through a cooperative movement which combines
    community solidarity and environmental respect; a movement of Social
    Economy that offers an alternative to the capitalist course of action; a
    productive and economic model that combines collective ownership and
    individual incentive. The sustainable water management lies in the core
    of such an initiative that respects the environment and protects the
    natural resources through a public, nonprofit, democratic, socially
    controlled and rational usage.

    *If one divides the estimated value of EYATH by the number of the water
    meters (namely the number of the users), the result is the symbolic
    number of 136 euros. The idea behind Initiative 136 was born in the
    summer of 2011. *

    It was the result of the discussions that took place in Thessaloniki, in
    the White Tower assemblies of the squares movement ("Indignados"). On
    the 10th of August, the workers of EYATH, social movements,
    organizations and citizens of Thessaloniki, decided that *we are not
    willing to let anyone play *with the water our families drink; *we will
    not allow any financial interests -- foreign or national -- to*
    *speculate with* our water and jeopardize the public health and
    environment of our area. The ownership of EYATH *is now a* *matter for
    the citizens *of Thessaloniki.

    *We decided to join our forces in a common endeavour under the name
    'Initiative 136', whose purposes are: *

    - *The acquisition of 40% and the management of EYATH by the citizens. *

    - *Social control of the city's water*

    - *Democratic operation of the company*

    - *The non-profit character of the company, in line with social policies
    and environmental protection. *

    In this effort, we invited all citizens to actively participate. We are
    also in contact with all the Mayors and Municipal Councils of
    Thessaloniki´s metropolitan area, as well as many of social and
    professional organizations. The overwhelming majority supports our
    initiative, which made its first public presentation on the 28th of
    November, 2011. Many cooperatives have already been created in the
    region of Thessaloniki, with thousands of pre-signed members. It is now
    becoming clear that the only way to defend the common goods is through
    social management and solidarity.

    Get in touch with Initiative 136 on *info@...* <mailto:info@...>

    Le 5/1/2013 6:03 PM, Sol a écrit :

    > Hello people,
    >
    > Maybe some of you know the big event that is being organized in Athens
    > 7-8 of June, the Alter Summit www.altersummit.eu
    > <http://www.altersummit.eu> .
    >
    > This effort is trying to build a big alliance of European trade
    > unions, civil society organizations and social movements in order to
    > create a counter-power that confronts the neoliberal Europe.
    >
    > Despite of the fact that the involvement of Trade Unions makes
    > difficult the creation of an open process, some organizations: The
    > Transnational Institute (TNI) and Corporate Europe Observatory (CEO),
    > are initiating an open process to prepare an Assembly on June 7^th in
    > Athens on the area of Economic governance & the Troika.
    >
    > We would like to invite you to participate in the preparation of this
    > Assembly which we propose to kick start with a Conference call on
    > *Monday afternoon May 6th*.The objective with the call is to make sure
    > we have a proposal for a preparatory meeting in Zagreb 10-11. May.
    >
    > We attach a doodle to determine the most suitable time.
    > http://doodle.com/ymkvtygpnb85cu5q - to determine the most suitable
    > time - you can also just indicate your availability here - between
    > 14.00-15.00; or 15.00-16.00 or 16.00-17.00:
    >
    > For the agenda of this Tel Conference, we are suggesting to discuss
    > the following:
    >
    > > What objectives and aims for the Assembly?
    >
    > > What title for the Assembly?
    >
    > > What Format for the assembly?
    >
    > > What Methodology for the Assembly?
    >
    > > Which logistics/resources we need for the Assembly?
    >
    > Please share also other points you have for the agenda.
    >
    > We propose to do the call via Tel Conference. This system costs will
    > at local call price, the details to connect will be provided.
    >
    > Please fill the Doodle and write back to me by Friday at 13.00 to
    > confirm if you can be at the call and if you and your group would like
    > to be part of the preparations.
    >
    > We hope you will be able to participate in this preparatory process -
    > even if you might not be going to Athens - as we believe the
    > preparation will be quite important in achieving a good outcome in
    > Athens and for a greater convergence of European movements and
    > struggles for the rest of 2013 and beyond.
    >
    > With best greetings!
    >
    > Sol
    >

    > --
    > Archive: http://openfsm.net/[...]/1367428201992
    > <http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/05/1367428201992>
    > for questions.

    • Re: Assemblies want to take control on water in grece

      from marknbarrett@... on May 01, 2013 07:45 PM
      Both items tweeted @panworldwide ( the Twitter feed in support of www.peoplesassemblies.org )
      Sent from phone

      --
      Archive: http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/05/1367432435259

    • what are you doing in the Global may?

      from mariangela on May 02, 2013 09:21 AM
      hi please help me to feed this pad http://titanpad.com/GlobalMay2013
      with information from different squares on the Global May
      (in English)

      As you know there is a website we have to feed with informations
      http://titanpad.com/GlobalMay2013

      Mariangela