• 2011movements-fsm discussion

Fwd: Corrected typo (sorry) Fwd: Zapatista Freedom School to Implement a Language Justice Program! Starting next Monday!

from Orsan Senalp on Aug 07, 2013 08:42 PM
Zapatistas celebrate 10 years of autonomy with ‘escuelita’| ROAR:
followiung is an email from OWSZapatista and attached is the last
communiqes from SupMarcos...

The Zapatistas invite 1.500 activists from all over the world to a
‘Little School of Liberty’ in Chiapas to learn from their experiment
with autonomy.

It was 10 years ago, on January 1, 2003, when — having exhausted the
road of dialogue with the government as well the one of a “big R”
Revolution that would overthrow the Mexican state — the Zapatistas of
Chiapas decided to “abandon the politics of demands, and with it, all
contact with the state.” Instead, they chose to concentrate on
building their own autonomous, horizontal forms of self-government
within their own territories and with their own means.

In other words, to ignore the state as an institution and “act as if
they had already won”, comrade ‘Bruce Lee’ of the CCRI in San
Cristobal declared during the commemoration of the 1994 uprising that
“we don’t have to ask the government’s permission to be autonomous.”
Or, as Major Infantry Insurgent Moses put it in an interview with
Gloria Muñoz:

The dialogue with the government didn’t work but it enriched us,
because we met more people and it gave us more ideas. After the “Color
of the Earth march” in 2001 we said that with or without a law we were
going to build our government the way we wanted.

It was 10 years ago, on August 9, 2003, when the Zapatistas announced
the death of the Aguascalientes and the birth of the Caracoles. Five
caracoles were created, each with its own Junta de Buen Gobierno (JBG)
established within it, responsible for its own Zapatista Autonomous
Rebel Municipal Zone (MAREZ). The five caracoles are the following:

“The Mother of Caracoles — Sea of Dreams” (La Realidad)
“The Whirlwind of Our Words” (Morelia — 17 de Noviembre)
“Resistance Until the New Dawn” (La Garrucha — Fransisco Gomez)
“The Caracol That Speaks for All” (Robero Barrios)
“Resistance and Rebellion for Humanity” (Oventik)

The municipalities and communities in each zone are not only divided
on the basis of geographical criteria but in other ways (like ethnic
composition and distance from the caracol) as well. Each caracol has
its own autonomous health clinic, normally a primary and/or secondary
school, and each of them is also involved in one form or another with
one of the five Projects of Zapatismo: health, education,
agro-ecology, politics, and information technology.

It was 10 years ago when the Zapatistas announced that they don’t need
anyone’s permission to be autonomous, and started to work on what for
them constitutes liberty and autonomy. And now, 10 years later, on
August 8, 2013 the Zapatistas invite the world to a three-day fiesta
to celebrate the ten years of Zapatista autonomy, in the five
caracoles in Chiapas!

And not only that. When the fiesta is over, in one of the very few
public initiatives they have undertaken since the Sixth Declaration of
the Selva Lacandona (La Sexta) in June 2005, and since the start of
the Other Campaign (La Otra Campaña) in January 2006,  the Zapatistas
now invite the world to an initiative that they call “the Little
School of Liberty according to the Zapatistas”.

For this Escuelita, around 1.500 activists from all over the world
have been invited to visit Chiapas and study the Zapatistas’
experiment with autonomy through lived experience. The teachers will
be the Zapatista communities themselves, which will host each and
every student in their lands, one with every family, and let them
experience what it is like to be member of the Zapatista Bases of
Support; in other words, what it’s like to be a Zapatista.

There will be students from five continents. Some of the countries of
origin of the students in the course, Freedom according to the
Zapatistas, include: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile,
Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, the United States of America,
Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic,
Uruguay, Venezuela, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Slovenia, the
Spanish State, France, Greece, Holland, Italy, the Basque Country,
United Kingdom, Switzerland, Sweden, South Korea, India, Iran, Sri
Lanka, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and the Canary Islands.
The furthest point of origin of students is Sri Lanka, which is more
than 17 thousand kilometers from Zapatista territory. Then follows
India (more than 15 thousand kilometers away), Australia (more than 13
thousand kilometers away), and new Zealand (more than 11 thousand
kilometers away).

More than 30 students have PhDs in various fields, while more than 50
are professors and researchers in various universities. Some 200
students will also attend the Little School through video conference.
Just like the Zapatistas did in the years of the Global Justice
Movement, with their Encuentros in their territories, now, in the
years of the Real Democracy Movement, they again invite the world to
come and see what autonomy and freedom looks and works like for the
Zapatistas.

“What for?” some may ask. “The Zapatista example is one that cannot be
followed everywhere: we don’t live in the jungles of Chiapas to create
rebel armies and autonomous communities,” others say. You may have
heard these arguments before, as have I. Well, the answer is simple:
the Zapatistas never projected themselves as the one and only example
to be followed. They have constructed a world in which they have
realized their own vision of freedom and autonomy, and continue to
fight for a world in which other worlds are possible.

That’s the world they invite us to experience. And, on the last day of
theEscuelita, the Zapatistas will tell the students: “the school is
over, what are you still doing here? Go back to your lands!” After
all, “We didn’t invite you in order to recruit you, train you,
un-train you, program you, or, like they say, “reset” you. We have
opened a door and invited you to come in and see our house, to see
what we have constructed with the help of people all over the world…
The outcome of the Escuelita is not militancy, belonging, submission
to command, nor fanaticism. What follows the Escuelita is something
that you, and only you, can decide… and act upon.”

In the next days, ROAR will keep you updated on the fiestas and the
Escuelita. For those of you who would like to be part of it, the
Zapatistas are organizing another course, in December-January
2013-’14, which coincides with the 20th anniversary of the original
Zapatista uprising of January 1, 1994. Those interested to participate
in person or through video conference will find information on how to
do so on Enlace Zapatista.

Vale. Salud y hasta la próxima.