• 2011movements-fsm discussion

  • WSF and Global Square

    from mariangela on Apr 23, 2015 08:02 AM
    Hi
    here in Madrid we are planning a social forum for june and I would like to facilitate a working group on the future of the forum

    It will be interesting to have a Global Square meeting in the next few weeks to exchange our different points of view on last and previous experience in the forum, the prospective we have towards the Canadian one in 2016 and write or share documents

    I would like also to have the link with the streaming of the assembly we participated in on the future of the forum
    with the canadian people or if there are notes of this assembly

    My proposal is to organize a Global Square Mumble meeting in early june but it will be great for me to collect document, if there is any, before

    Also I would like to know from Carminda if there is any chance to participate in the process to build for the forum in Canada and in which way

    ¿¿Anybody interested??

    If somebody from Canada or Europe would like to participate in the workshop in Madrid (19-20-21 june) I can offer my flat to stay but not the travelling expenses :-((

    Mariangela

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: WSF and Global Square

    from basstress on Apr 23, 2015 02:19 PM
    Hi Mariangela, thanks for your message ! I am in for the Mumble meeting,
    and to see how to learn from our recent experience in Tunis, towards the
    World Social Forum in Montreal 2016.

    There are indeed different ways of getting involved in the process towards
    Montreal. People can organize local groups to help out with mobilization in
    their regions, or they can also organize a local anchor of the WSF. We can
    support this groups if needed.

    I think that it would be amazing if people that have been active in Global
    Square (and others!) give a hand mobilizing the movements post 2011, and
    maybe get involved in the creation of a Global Square space...

    Any other ideas are totally welcome!

    All the best!

    Carminda

    On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 3:44 AM, marita <maciacia50@...> wrote:

    > Hi
    > here in Madrid we are planning a social forum for june and I would like to
    > facilitate a working group on the future of the forum
    >
    > It will be interesting to have a Global Square meeting in the next few
    > weeks to exchange our different points of view on last and previous
    > experience in the forum, the prospective we have towards the Canadian one
    > in 2016 and write or share documents
    >
    > I would like also to have the link with the streaming of the assembly we
    > participated in on the future of the forum
    > with the canadian people or if there are notes of this assembly
    >
    > My proposal is to organize a Global Square Mumble meeting in early june
    > but it will be great for me to collect document, if there is any, before
    >
    > Also I would like to know from Carminda if there is any chance to
    > participate in the process to build for the forum in Canada and in which way
    >

    > ¿¿Anybody interested??
    >
    > If somebody from Canada or Europe would like to participate in the
    > workshop in Madrid (19-20-21 june) I can offer my flat to stay but not the
    > travelling expenses :-((
    >
    > Mariangela
    >
    > --
    > Archive:
    > http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2015/04/1429776164963

    Carminda Mac Lorin
    514-381-7090

    • Re: WSF and Global Square

      from mariangela on Apr 24, 2015 07:12 AM
      Hi Carminda

      thanks for the reply

      I am in a "moving out of madrid" situation (I will be back in Milan in august) but I will work for the forum in Madrid and hope that somebody could take the responsability towards the forum 2016

      Personally I will continue to work on international issues and I hope to be there anyway for the next forum and I hope in a general reflexion on the Global Square space starting from the experience we had in 2013 and 2015

      Let's organize the Mumble meeting

      What the others think?

      have you got o can you send me the notes of the assembly on the future of the forum in which we participated?

      mariangela

      El 23/04/2015, a las 16:01, Carminda Mac Lorin escribió:

[...]

      Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1429798784683

      • Re: WSF and Global Square

        from Jasper on Apr 28, 2015 08:24 PM
        Yes, let's have a mumble meeting!
        grts jasper

        marita schreef op 24-4-2015 om 8:53:
> [...]
        >     few weeks to exchange our different points of view on last and
        >     previous experience in the forum, the prospective we have towards
        >     the Canadian one in 2016 and write or share documents
        >
        >     I would like also to have the link with the streaming of the
        >     assembly we participated in on the future of the forum
        >     with the canadian people or if there are notes of this assembly
        >
        >     My proposal is to organize a Global Square Mumble meeting in early
        >     june but it will be great for me to collect document, if there is
        >     any, before
        >
        >     Also I would like to know from Carminda if there is any chance to
        >     participate in the process to build for the forum in Canada and in
        >     which way
        >

        >     ¿¿Anybody interested??
        >
        >     If somebody from Canada or Europe would like to participate in the
        >     workshop in Madrid (19-20-21 june) I can offer my flat to stay but

        • Re: WSF and Global Square

          from Dean Edwards on Apr 29, 2015 05:31 AM
          Hello everyone,

          Democracy Watch News has been busy ramping up our organizing efforts. We now have the following twitter- news feeds in place, in addition to our international service.: @dwatchnews.

          North America, USA, Mexico, Canada: @dwmnews_na
          Americas, Caribbean, Central and South America: @dwmnews_am
          Subsaharan Africa, Central, East, West, and Southern Africa: @dwmnews_africa
          Near East, North Africa, Central Asia: @dwmnews_nena
          Asia-Pacific, East, South, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific: @dwmnews_aspac

          We will be setting up the European service shortly.

          Facebook will also have pages for each of these, but the tweets will not appear in FB until coordinating editors take charge for the regions. Currently the news feeds are working only for the feeds into Facebook for the international and North america services of Democracy watch News.

          Oximity Pages and Resources

          We are working with oximity .com and have expanded privileges so we can manage more then the usual five organizations. Once a page is set up, other “organizers” may be appointed to share responsibilities for administrating a page in Oximity. In addition, the site works in 200 languages. While portability of translations between all of these to each other are still works in progress, major languages work quite well. Even still, this means we can at the very least post articles in one language, Arabic for instance, and others can read it in other languages. But, remember, Arabic to Russian, for instance may need significant improvements, while Arabic to French may work quite well.

          Another advantage of oximity.com is that it comes out of the Occupy-type movements, so is a good fit for the global square and global democratic awakening. It is an internetwork that brings together networks, groups, and individuals who produce media content. They then have a place to collaborate and keep up with what others are doing.

          I am an approved writer with Oximity. Any writer for Oximity may invite and approve any other writer. It is all very decentralized.

          I have previously described the security findings, so will only point to the various sites below:
          unseen.is takes care of e-mail and Web conferencing, and several other communications needs, with encryption. They are in Iceland, so enjoy protections of Icelandic law, the best privacy protection for any country.

          silentcircle.com provides secure telecom, texting, contacts, and with the full service offers comprehensive , encrypted, Web services.

          spideroak.com provides encrypted data storage, and is partnered with silentcircle.com

          Livestreaming. We are planning on launching our own LS hub with production and directing capabilities, plus relationships with others to make our reports and news briefings more reliably available around the world. We continue to work with Global Revolution and Occupy Toronto and are looking for others to carry our work to those who are interested in broadening available news coverage.

          Podcast. We currently have Democracycast podcast available, and we will be expanding its archives and range. It is available in iTuenes and elsewhere. WE use libsyn.com as our host platform to disseminate the podcasts.

          News Briefings and Teleconferences

          We have our Democracy Movements Weekly International Press briefing every thursday at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time in the USA and Canada. This means the GMT/UTC times will shift according to whether the USa is on daylight savings or standard time.
          At present, our monthly special event for Asia and the Pacific is also tied to USACanada time.
          third Wednesday of every month at 11:00 a.m.
          We are partnered with the Agro Times in Nagpur, India, and will work with others in the region to produce news briefings for that region. In July the time index for this teleconference will shift to GMT/UTC, so the USA-Canada times will shift according to standard vs. daylight savings times.

          We will also be developing another special event, initially monthly.
          The Eastern Zone will focus on Europe, Africa and West Asia.
          This will most likely take place at 1600 GMT/UTC on the second Tuesday every month. This means anyone from California to the Maldives should be able to fit it into their schedule.

          Websites
          these are planned, but are waiting for funding.

          Mumble services.

          We had to discontinue our Mumble services for activists and advocates, due to lack of use and the costs of the servers. We have also released numerous “occupy’ urls, also due to lack of use, back into the public domain.

          Our remaining Mumble server is primarily for journalists, altmedia2.org
          We will be experimenting with its superior Internet connectivity to deploy full video services soon. So, anyone who wants to take Mumble to its full potential, standby for updates. We currently use Mumble for our production staff a an international telecom system, so the host of a news briefing can receive audio-instructions and prompts during a live event via an earpiece.

          Note, the server does have a channel available for activists and advocates: WSF. So, feel free to use this to take advantage of its fast Internet capabilities.

          WSF 2016, Montreal and WSF-USA 2015 Atlanta.

          We are making plans for these events, particularly for the international event in Quebec next year. Some of our staff will l be there, so coordination will be much easier. and, the Internet will be very good and well developed.

          This year we will be developing our news service as a nonprofit service. Standby for updates.

          International Collaborative Media Alliance

          This is also being launched in serious ways this year. It will help set up independent news bureaus, credential independent, citizen, and community journalists, and use decentralized and collaborative models to help with coordination, ethical standards, solutions journalism,, and training. Standby for updates. The media alliance has pages currently at Oximity and Facebook.

          These are the basics, and we look forward to continuing to do our parts, but rely on the activists to bring reliable information about grassroots activities and plans to the public. We are the conduit, not the source.

          Yours,
          Dean Edwards
          coordinating editor
          Democracy watch h News
          international and North America services
          International Collaborative Media Alliance
          Salem, OR, USA
          Skype: salembard
          oormg@... for journalism projects

        • Re: WSF and Global Square

          from Orsan on May 02, 2015 05:02 PM
          hey yes that would be great to hear, specially for those who couldn't make it Tunis, to hear what happened, how did it all go, and what is coming on the way! am looking forwards..
          should I start a doodle then?

          best, orsan

> [...]
          >>>
          >>> I would like also to have the link with the streaming of the assembly we participated in on the future of the forum
          >>> with the canadian people or if there are notes of this assembly
          >>>
          >>> My proposal is to organize a Global Square Mumble meeting in early june but it will be great for me to collect document, if there is any, before
          >>>
          >>> Also I would like to know from Carminda if there is any chance to participate in the process to build for the forum in Canada and in which way
          >>>

          >>> ¿¿Anybody interested??
          >>>
          >>> If somebody from Canada or Europe would like to participate in the workshop in Madrid (19-20-21 june) I can offer my flat to stay but not the travelling expenses :-((

            from Jackrabbit on May 02, 2015 05:07 PM
            Is it possible for us to set up some kind of project management system? I
            would love it if there was anything at all we can do to get this
            conversation off of email.

            Has anyone used tools like Slack or Trello?

            I think it would really help to get clear about how we can best work
            together on this very very important project. I think that email can be a
            very difficult way to organize and keep track of tasks and communication.

            I'd love to know what people think of that. There are lots of free software
            out there we can take advantage of.

            Thank you all for the great work you do!
            ;-jackrabbit

            On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Orsan <orsan1234@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >> weeks to exchange our different points of view on last and previous
            >> experience in the forum, the prospective we have towards the Canadian one
            >> in 2016 and write or share documents
            >>
            >> I would like also to have the link with the streaming of the assembly we
            >> participated in on the future of the forum
            >> with the canadian people or if there are notes of this assembly
            >>
            >> My proposal is to organize a Global Square Mumble meeting in early june
            >> but it will be great for me to collect document, if there is any, before
            >>
            >> Also I would like to know from Carminda if there is any chance to
            >> participate in the process to build for the forum in Canada and in which way
            >>

            >> ¿¿Anybody interested??
            >>
            >> If somebody from Canada or Europe would like to participate in the
            >> workshop in Madrid (19-20-21 june) I can offer my flat to stay but not the

               (Y)
              (G.G)
            c(")   )(")
            photoblog:
            http://jackrabbitrocks.tumblr.com/

            • Re: WSF and Global Square

              from mariangela on May 03, 2015 07:39 AM
              yes please Oscar
              prepare the doodle

               but in june
               we are really busy with the May now
              mariangela

              El 02/05/2015, a las 18:48, Jack R. Abbit escribió:

> [...]

              >> I would like also to have the link with the streaming of the assembly we participated in on the future of the forum
              >> with the canadian people or if there are notes of this assembly
              >>
              >> My proposal is to organize a Global Square Mumble meeting in early june but it will be great for me to collect document, if there is any, before
              >>
              >> Also I would like to know from Carminda if there is any chance to participate in the process to build for the forum in Canada and in which way
              >>

              >> ¿¿Anybody interested??
              >>
              >> If somebody from Canada or Europe would like to participate in the workshop in Madrid (19-20-21 june) I can offer my flat to stay but not the travelling expenses :-((

              Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1430586448985

              • Re: WSF and Global Square

                from ÖrsanŞenalp on May 05, 2015 12:31 PM

                > yes please Oscar
                > prepare the doodle

                I guess you meant to answer me :-)

                >  but in june