• Tunis Group 2 - CI futur Consult & +

Re: Re: work to be done working group 2

from Sergio Bassoli on May 13, 2013 03:05 PM
Dear Francine
yes I not an easy task but we have to take it on bord.
I tried to interact with your questions, delivering some explanations
and some comments. I hope the debate will start.
  Best regards.
Sergio

ps: my answers in red.

Il 12/05/2013 18:34, Francine Mestrum ha scritto:

> Dear Sergio,
>
> Dear friends,
>
> Thank you very much Sergio for this first proposal. Reading it, and
> re-reading it, I understand how difficult it must have been.
>
> And I realize how problematic it is to organize a consultation on
> 'organizing' before we have clear ideas on what a possible IC will be
> for, what it will have to do ...
>
> So I wonder if we should not try, first of all, to get some clarity
> about that, though again, this is not easy. Maybe we can introduce a
> first question, multiple choice, on that. I think the answer to that
> question could be clarifying for all the other questions you have
> mentioned.

According our proposal the question of: Mission and Functions, has to be
a risult of the consultation process.

> There are a couple of questions where I think it might be good to give
> some explanation on what the choice implies.
>
> For example, I fully agree with the consultation as an 'open space' ,
> though we should be aware of the risks. IC members with their
> experience of the past years, will react differently from non-members.
> We all want, I guess, to have an 'ideal' IC, though I also think we
> have to be very pragmatic, at least this is what my IC experience
> learns me. So maybe, in the examination of the results, we might make
> a difference between 'IC members' and 'non members', otherwise we
> might get a biased view.

Yes, I agree, in the analysis of the results it's important to divide
for the different type of organizations.

> The question on 'coordination and management' is another example of
> where some explanation might be useful. Personally, I think this is
> not possible with a meeting of 200 people. If past experience has
> taught us anything, I think it is that you need some kind of
> 'leadership', and by that I mean one or a couple of persons who take
> initiatives, not 'leading' in the proper way, just decide on agendas
> and procedures; and on the other hand you need some continuity in
> order to remain coherent. The 'open space' is an attractive idea, but
> a constantly changing participation may not allow for this continuity
> and coherence. The 'open space' or the 'horizontality' does allow for
> hidden power games, and I think we should try to avoid that. Some
> structure, or explicit responsibilities might help.

Yes, I agree. Open consultation for a defined body !!!  There are
different solutions: if we decided for a large IC may be we need a
Secretariat or Executive body. If we decide for a suitable IC (50-100)
may be it's enouth to work with Commissions and 1-2 persons from the
Commissions can become a restricted coordination body, etc. etc.  But,
again, this discussion have to be realized after the consultation process.

> Maybe we can also make a mix of 'open meetings' and 'closed meetings':
> as we  did in the past and also our last meeting in Tunis: only
> members get the floor.

Yes, it's an open question.

> As for the number of members: I would introduce the choice for '50'

Yes. Done.

> The question on the matrix: 1) and 2) are not clear to me. What is meant?

Matrix 1: is the questionaire
Matrix 2: is the box related to the second question on
"representativeness"; each organization can define own criteria of
representativeness; defining criteria/labels and defining the wheight (1
- 5)

> Finally: does the IC have to be representative?

That is the question, the consultation process will give us the answer.

> Sorry for the length of my answer, I think this is a very important
> task we have.
>
> Maybe a hint, for Sergio: try to think of whether you would want this
> or that rule also for your trade union?

May be we can make some test for verifying the validity of the
Questionaire !!  Ishould be the first.

> I think the point of the 'mandate' of the IC is the most important. We
> should either introduce a multiple choicer question on it, or have a
> separate discussion on it.
>
> These are my first reactions. Once again, many thanks for the
> important and delicate work.
>
> Francine

Return to date view: threaded or flat