• Communication commission discussion

Re: Re: on mandate to fundraise/recordings of ic meeting audio

from Giuseppe Caruso on Oct 16, 2009 02:30 PM
Rita, Dan, Pierre, Alessandra,

tahnk you very much this contributions, very useful to to deepen the
conversation a great deal and extend the scope of our work.

so i guess the "agenda" (although really i wasn't thinking about it as an
agenda but as a reflection of what people had been rasing in the previous
emails) seems to be growing by few more items. First of all a premise that i
do share to the utmost extent and that i wish people could comment upon:

We (some of us) seem to recognise that:

Dan: "the format of the IC meeting (it's 'internal communication') (...) not
only suffers from and reinforces the same methodological challenges. It also
generates a political culture of untransparency, inhibition, tension and
apparent superficiality. To its credit, ComCom had the courage to face this
and the 'coordinators' of ComCom chaired a 15 minute 'dialogic' experiment
within an IC plenary on the WSF 2010 Process which momentarily transformed
its culture and made possible a participatory political dialogue between
networks, NGOs, countries and alternatives."

This sets for the commission an extremely ambitious task to discuss as Jason
put it in his intervention in the plenary not only "Informationi" but
"Communication" in its most profound meaning which involves also the
methodology of the IC interaction and that during the event. A methodology
(Salete calls very rightly a "pedagogy") that is at the centre of the
visionary values of the WSF. In this sense let me add that Pierre had very
rightly mentioned the intention of the commission to engage in a common work
with the methodology commission. If that still holds and we share that
desire, that can be a proposal for the methodology commission and for the IC
for next meeting (with perhaps some previous virtual contacts with them).

Now having set the ground in this way this opens up to what Rita suggests.
Exploring:

1. the role of the Com Com (as political space of IC)

Now something else can help us with starting reflecting on this as...

2. ...Alessandra has posted all the links to all the relevant documents to
discuss the funding. That can also constitute the fundamental ground on
which to start our work (to avoid reinventing the wheel or to create
contradictions). Ideally an edited collection of those documents would be
very useful as a ground document for us and for all those who will join the
commission later.

Portuguese -
http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/main.php?id_menu=3_2_2&cd_language=1
English -
http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/main.php?id_menu=3_2_2&cd_language=2
French -
http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/main.php?id_menu=3_2_2&cd_language=3
Castellano -
http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/main.php?id_menu=3_2_2&cd_language=4

Also this is useful: Rita: The criteria to ask IC sources that we started
talking in Montreal could be usefull to start this point

2. In Montreal Salete made a fantastically articulated and concise at the
same time recount of the whole history of the group since day 1 in 2001. As
i said then that history could constitute another base documents for this
group. Moreover Pierre writes in his email that he finds crucial that all
share a common ground to understand the past dynamics of the commission in
order "to understand better the issues and problematics about having a
"working + policy defining" communication commission , focused on
facilitating communication processes inside WSF process. This is part of the
ground setting experiment and i wonder if this perhaps is what Salete has
done for those who were present in Montreal while telling us the story of
the Commission. If anything is missing these documents can indeed be very
helpful. Some edited collection of those could be welcome. Also and this
seems to me refers to point one the "working + policy defining" nature of
the commission would be part of point one of the agenda, what Rita
suggested, about defining nature and role of the commission.

More on the list of things to do:

3. The report from Montreal. how about we generate an edited colelction of
our own reports to follow up to the successful methodology we used in
Montreal to report. We try to collect 2 or 3 paragraphs from everyone on the
aspect they found more crucial and then we collate all together.

4. Present the open working groups those are already started as part of the
strategic for a permanent dinamic of the commission - the role they are
supposed to play (parcially presented in Montreal). Some groups are not
working yet because there are no people to do it.

5. Present the actions/projects theese groups sugests, pointing the
activities we should do, what kind of help/support/voluntary efforts we need
to do it, with and without sources from IC (not presented yet).

Four and Five need some background. the famous preliminary plan we discussed
in Montreal should be made available here both for discussion and for
recruitment purposes of course once it will be approved and circulated to
the IC. Plus all plans who could as Rita says be part of the Com-Comm but
not of the funding exercise and, i say, be aprt of the open galaxy of
communication (in this case information it seems) activities revolving
around the com-com.

Also this becomes crucial here as a leading question:
Rita: Budget for what. How IC can improve the plan by fundrasing

6. On the communication of the communication commission:
Rita: We have booked weeckly chats every wednesday. There is also this
mailing list. And we insert initial projects inside some openfsm pages

7. As far as the deadline for the presentation of a plan to the IC is
concerned: it seems that we might need a little longer? would the 10th of
november work for everyone?

Ok very sorry for the long email but it seems there is a lot of enthusiasm
on this process, which is of course heartening indeed

Ciao
Giuseppe

Return to date view: threaded or flat