• 2011movements-fsm discussion

  • visualizing the movement - "maptivism" ?

    from Gediz Er on Jul 25, 2013 06:26 PM
    Hello, I have been researching on how to visulize our movement in Turkey.

    First findings were the *ushahidi *platform which was used for such
    activity in many places in the world.

    An ideal site would have a map, a calendar, a forum, and social networking
    possiblities.

    It would be a place to

    1- pinpoint the issues on the map (if relevant) (example: mines,
    constructions, police brutality, media bias)
    2- discuss them in forums linked to the issue - share news, laws etc.
    3- organize action and place it on the map and the calendar.
    4- a *crisis map* could also be used in live tactical protest mapping with
    fast data feed.

    the map would need to have filtering possiblities, depending on date,
    mapwindow, and category. Different icons for each category.

    some issues are security, filtering noise, modes of information entry (e.g.
    twitter, e-mail, instagram etc)

    any ideas? any working example?

    thanks. gediz

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: visualizing the movement - "maptivism" ?

    from shawn on Jul 26, 2013 04:17 AM
    You should check out http://convoca.cc/

    ⨳
    Shawn Carrié
    occupywallst.org (http://occupywallst.org)  |  t (http://bit.ly/owstw)  |   fb (http://bit.ly/owsfb)  |  g+ (http://bit.ly/owsGplus)  |  t (http://bit.ly/owstumblr)  |  yt (http://bit.ly/owsyt)  |  li (http://bit.ly/owslinkedin)  |  R (http://bit.ly/owsreddit)  |

    On Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Gediz Er wrote:

    > Hello, I have been researching on how to visulize our movement in Turkey.
    >
    > First findings were the ushahidi platform which was used for such activity in many places in the world.
    >
    > An ideal site would have a map, a calendar, a forum, and social networking possiblities.
    >
    > It would be a place to
    >
    > 1- pinpoint the issues on the map (if relevant) (example: mines, constructions, police brutality, media bias)
    > 2- discuss them in forums linked to the issue - share news, laws etc.
    > 3- organize action and place it on the map and the calendar.
    > 4- a crisis map could also be used in live tactical protest mapping with fast data feed.
    >
    > the map would need to have filtering possiblities, depending on date, mapwindow, and category. Different icons for each category.
    >
    > some issues are security, filtering noise, modes of information entry (e.g. twitter, e-mail, instagram etc)
    >
    > any ideas? any working example?
    >
    > thanks. gediz
    >

    > --
    > Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1374776793513 (http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/07/1374776793513)

    • Re: visualizing the movement - "maptivism" ?

      from Mikifus on Jul 26, 2013 10:33 AM
      https://crowdmap.com/

      2013/7/26 Shawn Carrié <shawn@...>

      > You should check out http://convoca.cc/
      >
      > ⨳
      > Shawn Carrié
      > *occupywallst.org  |  **t <http://bit.ly/owstw>  |   fb<http://bit.ly/owsfb>  |
      >  g+ <http://bit.ly/owsGplus>  |  t <http://bit.ly/owstumblr>  |  yt<http://bit.ly/owsyt>  |
      >  li <http://bit.ly/owslinkedin>  |  R <http://bit.ly/owsreddit>  |  *
      > Sent with Sparrow <http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig>
      >
      > On Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Gediz Er wrote:
      >
      > Hello, I have been researching on how to visulize our movement in Turkey.
      >
      > First findings were the *ushahidi *platform which was used for such
      > activity in many places in the world.
      >
      > An ideal site would have a map, a calendar, a forum, and social networking
      > possiblities.
      >
      > It would be a place to
      >
      > 1- pinpoint the issues on the map (if relevant) (example: mines,
      > constructions, police brutality, media bias)
      > 2- discuss them in forums linked to the issue - share news, laws etc.
      > 3- organize action and place it on the map and the calendar.
      > 4- a *crisis map* could also be used in live tactical protest mapping
      > with fast data feed.
      >
      > the map would need to have filtering possiblities, depending on date,
      > mapwindow, and category. Different icons for each category.
      >
      > some issues are security, filtering noise, modes of information entry
      > (e.g. twitter, e-mail, instagram etc)
      >
      > any ideas? any working example?
      >
      > thanks. gediz
      >

      > --
      > Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1374776793513<http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/07/1374776793513>

      > Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1374812240701<http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/07/1374812240701>

      • Re: visualizing the movement - "maptivism" ?

        from ulibeudgen on Jul 26, 2013 12:48 PM
        Really good map not just for wheelchair-users:

        http://wheelmap.org/en/

        It just has to be formed for US ... :)

        Ulrike Beudgen

        Von meinem iPhone gesendet

        Am 26.07.2013 um 12:23 schrieb Mikifus <mikifus@...>:

        > https://crowdmap.com/
        >

        > 2013/7/26 Shawn Carrié <shawn@...>
        >> You should check out http://convoca.cc/
        >>
        >> ⨳
        >> Shawn Carrié
        >> occupywallst.org  |  t  |   fb  |  g+  |  t  |  yt  |  li  |  R  |
        >> Sent with Sparrow
        >>
        >> On Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Gediz Er wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hello, I have been researching on how to visulize our movement in Turkey.
        >>>
        >>> First findings were the ushahidi platform which was used for such activity in many places in the world.
        >>>
        >>> An ideal site would have a map, a calendar, a forum, and social networking possiblities.
        >>>
        >>> It would be a place to
        >>>
        >>> 1- pinpoint the issues on the map (if relevant) (example: mines, constructions, police brutality, media bias)
        >>> 2- discuss them in forums linked to the issue - share news, laws etc.
        >>> 3- organize action and place it on the map and the calendar.
        >>> 4- a crisis map could also be used in live tactical protest mapping with fast data feed.
        >>>
        >>> the map would need to have filtering possiblities, depending on date, mapwindow, and category. Different icons for each category.
        >>>
        >>> some issues are security, filtering noise, modes of information entry (e.g. twitter, e-mail, instagram etc)
        >>>
        >>> any ideas? any working example?
        >>>
        >>> thanks. gediz
        >>>

        >>> --
        >>> Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1374776793513
        >>

        >> --
        >> Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1374812240701

        > Archive: http://openfsm.net/[…]/1374834794344

  • Re: visualizing the movement - "maptivism" ?

    from Ludovica Rogers on Jul 27, 2013 02:06 PM
    Something I am trying to use, but have not tested enough to assure it works is the following.
    Create a wordpress website and add the following plugins:
    - buddypress http://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress/
    - events manager http://wordpress.org/plugins/events-manager/

    Buddypress is a social network plugin and Events Manager is compatible with it.
    The way it works is that those that create an account on the website then have their own profile page. From there they can create their own events.
    Also people not with an account can submit events with a form.
    You can then view all the events together, or from the profile pages.
    Another level to it is that you can create groups and add forums to it.
    With event manager you can also create a map of all the locations where events are happening.

    I think Ushahidi and crowdmap are great platforms, but unfortunately they are very limited on how you can personalise them. Still I think they remains one of the best platforms for  "crisis maps" or when you need mapping with quite simple structures.

     What I have described above needs more work, and some basic knowledge of website development (but quite basic…no coding!) but allows you to shape things exactly as you would like. Still as  I said I haven't tested enough to say that it is worth using, but planning to do so in the near future.

    Another platform is map box (http://www.mapbox.com/). But also needs more software knowledge and unfortunately when scaled up is not free anymore.

    Vica