• Communication commission discussion

  • Re: about Comcom

    from thiago on Jul 31, 2008 05:19 PM
    Dear Meena,

    I'm fowarding this answer and your message below to the communication
    commission list (on rits and openfsm) and to fsm2009com list (which has
    local communication WG + IC Com members + office).

    Some ideas about what you asked:

    1) we have a lot of mailing lists and groups already created in many
    websites. An important process of cleaning up the "fat" is going on with
    the migration of WSF communication to OpenFSM. My idea is stay only with
    the OpenFSM lists.

    We already have two spaces there: one for the IC Communication
    Commission and other for WSF 2009 Communication. Inside this spaces,
    there are already groups formed. We need to organize people and work
    inside those groups. Some are already moving.

    2) The language barrier is a huge problem. For Belem 2009, I think it'll
    be really hard to have communication in english. One sollution (that
    could be applied to all lists and spaces) is to have translators that
    can help us to overcome this barrier.  For the chats, we can think on
    voice translation for english-spoken people.

    3) Schedulle of chats is important also. We need to plan in advance.
    There a page created in OpenFSM that everyone (signed up on the site)
    can edit: http://openfsm.net/projects/fsm2009com/calendario . It's a
    calendar for us to organize ourselves.

    4) There's a report on the Com meeting in Belem -
    http://openfsm.net/projects/fsm2009com/memoria-da-reuniao-de-12-e-13-de-julho-em-belem
    - unfortunatelly only in portuguese.

    5) Belem website building, from what I hear, is moving. They had a
    meeting yesterday to set up the layoud and technical issues details and
    we'll wait for the information tha comes from Belem.

    6) Meena, I'll keep you informed if something got into the work agenda.

    best,

    Thiago Benicchio
    World Social Forum Office - Sao Paulo, Brazil
    +55-11-3258-8914
    skype user: benicchio

    Meena Menon wrote:
    > Dear Thiago
    > I wanted to chat with you about how I can help in the work of the
    > Communication Commission. I have some questions and comments I would
    > like you to pass on to the comcom group. I have no idea how to do that.
    > My message is below- pl send it to the group esp Jason.
    > Meena
    >
    > Message for the Comcom:
    >
    > Dear comrades of teh comcom
    > I have been trying to follow the chats of the comcom but its
    > impossible because its in Spanish and its at 2 pm in India. I also
    > read the note that was presented in the Abuja meeting. I had a few
    > questions/observations:
    >
    > It seems to me that we must prepare for Belem making it a top
    > priority. For this we need to start with: What do THEY need?
    > I think they will need help with their website (information and
    > registration) and second to let a lot of people know about the event:
    > mails, newsletter, invites etc.
    > The information about Belem - including the program - must reach all
    > continents. So we need people in media in all parts of the world, not
    > only in South America and Europe. The chats will have to be at a
    > convenient time. Maybe we can make two groups if the time is not
    > convenient.
    >
    > I think we can form groups: Media, website, newsletter, etc. And we
    > need to work closely with the local office and the WSF office.
    >
    > We must start with a first level press release which can be formulated
    > and sent to us from the WSF office.
    > Pl tell me how the asians and Africans can become part of the Comcom.
    > For a start my friends here and I too, are interested in working with
    > the local Belem committee to help with the event.
    >
    > Waiting for your reply
    > Meena
    >

    > --
    > Focus On The Global South, India
    > A-201, Kailash Apartments
    > Juhu Church Road, Juhu
    > Mumbai – 400 049. India
    > Tel: +91-22-6592 1141 / 51
    > Telefax: +91-22-2625 4347
    > Email: focusind@... <mailto:focusind@...> /
    > focusind@... <mailto:focusind@...>
    > Website: http://www.focusweb.org

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: about Comcom

    from meenam on Aug 01, 2008 02:46 AM
    Dear Thiago
    If the Belem discussions are all in English, more than half of the world is
    excluded. It becomes essentially a Brazilian-European  event. Already the
    process has shrunk so that there is no global interest.

    But this is WSF 2009  and it has to be open to all. We have to give
    information on accommodation, organise mobilization, provide program
    information, tell them which website to go to for registration. We will
    have  to find ways of overcoming the language barrier. One option would be
    to let the Asian- African North American side have a separate  grouping in
    which the mobilisation is discussed,  information is sent out etc. Now you
    are not even sending a newsletter to the rest of the world to tell then what
    is happening. I think the India office can play a role in this- we will make
    information available to India and the rest of Asia. Similarly we have to
    set up communication hubs for other parts.

    The open fsm can be used to run the mailing lists but someone has to
    register everyone- no one has time to do this. The advantage with mailing
    lists is that it can be done by one person.  If openfsm can also organise
    translation it might be useful but honestly I am unable to see any advantage
    in using it.

    First priority - we need a NEWSLETTER. To update people on what is
    happening. Who will do that?
    Best
    Meena

    2008/7/31 Thiago Benicchio - FSM <thiago.wsf@...>

> [...]
    > I think they will need help with their website (information and
    > registration) and second to let a lot of people know about the event:
    > mails, newsletter, invites etc.
    > The information about Belem - including the program - must reach all
    > continents. So we need people in media in all parts of the world, not only
    > in South America and Europe. The chats will have to be at a convenient time.
    > Maybe we can make two groups if the time is not convenient.
    >
    > I think we can form groups: Media, website, newsletter, etc. And we need to
    > work closely with the local office and the WSF office.
    >
    > We must start with a first level press release which can be formulated and
    > sent to us from the WSF office.
    > Pl tell me how the asians and Africans can become part of the Comcom. For a
    > start my friends here and I too, are interested in working with the local

  • Re: Re: about Comcom

    from Norma on Aug 01, 2008 03:32 PM
    Amigos:
                  hoy habíamos pautado un chat a las 11 (Brasil-Argentina) pero estábamos sólo Rita y yo, creo que hay mucha confusión cuando cambiamos los horarios. Propongo dejar un día y horario fijo una vez a la semana y que los que puedan se sumen y los que no se sumarán en la próxima, pero todos dejamos agendado ese espacio.  Me parece que el día miércoles (cuarta) había funcionado bien, y Pierre propone volver al horario de las cinco de la tarde porque en el de las 11 está trabajando. ¿Les parece bien? Yo la semana próxima no podré participar porque estaré de viaje a un congreso de antropología, pero a partir de la siguiente prometo estar presente cada miércoles.
                  Otra cosa es que quería saber si algunos de ustedes irán al Foro de las Américas en Guatemala. Yo no sé si conseguiré ir, pero creo que sería importante hacer allá una reunión de comunicación con quienes vayan de la región, hacia Belem 2009.
                   Un abrazo
                                               Norma

[...]

    ¡Buscá desde tu celular!

    Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro

    http://ar.mobile.yahoo.com/onesearch

    • Re: Re: about Comcom

      from pacofocuspuller on Aug 01, 2008 04:25 PM
      dears all
      care e cari tutti,

      creo che les observaciones de Meena siano puntuali e assolutamente esatte.
      Come possiamo organizzare le chat in modo che non siano solo ad orari
      sud americani e che coinvolgano l'altra parte del pianeta? Credo che
      bisogni fare un grande sforzo perchè la discussione venga aperta e
      allargata il più possibile anche cercando di usare la lingua inglese.
      Some notes made by Meena suggests to think about to how to organize
      also the meeting , chat and news letter also for the other side of the
      planet.
      I belive that we have to do a great efforce to open the discussion and
      involve many association, union, individual, Ngo etc as possible and
      also try to go over the languages fence.
      grazie
      antonio pacor

      2008/8/1 Norma Fernandez <normafer2003@...>:
> [...]
      > work closely with the local office and the WSF office.
      >
      > We must start with a first level press release which can be formulated and
      > sent to us from the WSF office.
      > Pl tell me how the asians and Africans can become part of the Comcom. For a
      > start my friends here and I too, are interested in working with the local
      > Belem committee to help with the event.
      >
      > Waiting for your reply
      > Meena
      >

      > --
      > Focus On The Global South, India
      > A-201, Kailash Apartments
      > Juhu Church Road, Juhu
      > Mumbai – 400 049. India
      > Tel:  +91-22-6592 1141  / 51
      > Telefax: +91-22-2625 4347
      > Email: focusind@... / focusind@...
      > Website: http://www.focusweb.org
      >
      > ________________________________
      > ¡Buscá desde tu celular! Yahoo! oneSEARCH ahora está en Claro

        from Norma on Aug 01, 2008 06:15 PM
        A mí me preocupa hacer las comunicaciones sólo en inglés. Siempre me pareció lo mejor que cada uno escriba en su idioma y los otros hagan un esfuerzo por entender, pero no creo que " la mitad del planeta" hable inglés, y en América Latina no lo usamos tan asiduamente para comunicarnos. Usar portugués, español e inglés en los chats no me parece mal, incluso si alguien lo hace en francés o italiano aquí lo entendemos bastante bien  por la base latina y en Europa no tienen problemas. Me resisto - ideológicamente - a uniformar nuestras comunicaciones sólo en inglés, aceptando una vieja colonización linguística impuesta en los ámbitos intelectuales; intentemos avanzar en la interculturalidad y el multilingüismo.

> [...]

        > page created in OpenFSM that everyone (signed up on the site) can edit:
        > http://openfsm.net/projects/fsm2009com/calendario . It's a calendar
        for us
        > to organize ourselves.
        >
        > 4) There's a report on the Com meeting in Belem -

        http://openfsm.net/projects/fsm2009com/memoria-da-reuniao-de-12-e-13-de-julho-em-belem
        > - unfortunatelly only in portuguese.
        >
        > 5) Belem website building, from what I hear, is moving. They had a meeting
        > yesterday to set up the layoud and technical issues details and we'll
        wait
        > for the information tha comes from Belem.
        >
        > 6) Meena, I'll keep you informed if something got into the work
        agenda.

        > best,
        >
        > Thiago Benicchio
        > World Social Forum Office - Sao Paulo, Brazil

          from pacofocuspuller on Aug 01, 2008 06:25 PM
          Ciao Norma,
          io sto dicendo di fare uno sforzo  per alvorare colletivamente e sono
          d'accordo con quello che dici.
          ciao
          antonio

          I only said that we have do do en efforce and work toghether.
          antonio

          2008/8/1 Norma Fernandez <normafer2003@...>:
          > A mí me preocupa hacer las comunicaciones sólo en inglés. Siempre me pareció
          > lo mejor que cada uno escriba en su idioma y los otros hagan un esfuerzo por
          > entender, pero no creo que " la mitad del planeta" hable inglés, y en
          > América Latina no lo usamos tan asiduamente para comunicarnos. Usar
          > portugués, español e inglés en los chats no me parece mal, incluso si
          > alguien lo hace en francés o italiano aquí lo entendemos bastante bien  por
          > la base latina y en Europa no tienen problemas. Me resisto - ideológicamente
          > - a uniformar nuestras comunicaciones sólo en inglés, aceptando una vieja
          > colonización linguística impuesta en los ámbitos intelectuales; intentemos
          > avanzar en la interculturalidad y el multilingüismo.

      from biabarbosa on Aug 01, 2008 06:52 PM
      Caros e caras,

      Havíamos pré-agendado a reunião para hoje às 11h, mas dependíamos de uma confirmação que não veio - eu, pelo menos, não a recebi. Pouco antes das 11h, Pierre e eu estávamos online e não sabíamos se o chat aconteceria ou não.

      Acho importante mantermos um dia e horário fixo para nossas reuniões virtuais. Quarta-feira é um bom dia. Para nós, do Intervozes, o horário é indiferente.

      Grande abraço,
      Bia

      Meena Menon wrote:

[...]

            Novos endereços, o Yahoo! que você conhece. Crie um email novo com a sua cara @ymail.com ou @rocketmail.com.
      http://br.new.mail.yahoo.com/addresses

      • Re: Re: about Comcom

        from JEnNy on Aug 01, 2008 08:09 PM
        Hola a tod@s

        Resulta tranquilizador para mí, enterarme que no soy la única a quién cuesta
        trabajo participar y dar seguimiento a los chats y los trabajos de  la
        comision de comunicación. Aunque estoy en la mejor disposición de hacerlo  a
        veces no es tan sencillo por un lado, la propia modalidad de los chats hace
        de esta manera de comunicación un espacio que requiere de muuchoo tiempo;
        aunque entiendo gran parte del inglés estoy totalmente de acuerdo con lo
        señalado por Norma en cuanto al uso de nuestras lenguas nativas y
        finalmente, creo también que sería bueno conservar un día y horario fijo, en
        la medida de lo posible.
        Por cierto, habrá alguna manera breve de enterarme sobre los avances de la
        comcom, ya que asistí al Foro Mesoamericano de los Pueblos en Managua,
        Nicaragua, y me perdì de varios chats. por favor.

        Norma, si todo sale como he planeado voy en la delegación mexicana al FSA
        en  Guatemala ;)

        Abrazos fuertes a tod@s.
        Jenny Tapia Hernández
        Integrante del equipo de apoyo del
        Comité Promotor del Foro Social Mundial en México

        --
        celular 04455 3996 6329
        skype: jenny_th2007

    • Re: Re: about Comcom

      from rita@... on Aug 02, 2008 12:46 AM
      Concordo com a Norma

      E também aproveito para pedir informações sobre o Fórum Social das Américas

      Citando Norma Fernandez <normafer2003@...>:

      > Amigos:
      >               hoy habíamos pautado un chat a las 11
      > (Brasil-Argentina) pero estábamos sólo Rita y yo, creo que hay mucha
      >  confusión cuando cambiamos los horarios. Propongo dejar un día y
      > horario fijo una vez a la semana y que los que puedan se sumen y los
      >  que no se sumarán en la próxima, pero todos dejamos agendado ese
      > espacio.  Me parece que el día miércoles (cuarta) había funcionado
      > bien, y Pierre propone volver al horario de las cinco de la tarde
      > porque en el de las 11 está trabajando. ¿Les parece bien? Yo la
      > semana próxima no podré participar porque estaré de viaje a un
      > congreso de antropología, pero a partir de la siguiente prometo
      > estar presente cada miércoles.
      >               Otra cosa es que quería saber si algunos de ustedes
      > irán al Foro de las Américas en Guatemala. Yo no sé si conseguiré
      > ir, pero creo que sería importante hacer allá una reunión de
      > comunicación con quienes vayan de la región, hacia Belem 2009.
      >                Un abrazo
      >                                            Norma

    from jnardi on Aug 02, 2008 09:02 AM
    [ENGLISH ONLY]

    Dear Meena and all,

    I think you raised some fundamental issues and I agree we need to
    address them right away.

    Thiago has already given some first answers, I'd like just to add a
    few observations and ideas for action points (sorry for the long
    mail):

    > It seems to me that we must prepare for Belem making it a top priority. For
    > this we need to start with: What do THEY need?

    -- Fortunately here there is something moving: online meeetings and a
    specific mailing list and space on openfsm have been set up
    (http://openfsm.net/projects/fsm2009com/summary). And specific working
    groups have been formed in order to address needs for the organisation
    of Belem. But the problem here is that the meeting reports are only in
    portuguese.

    ** Action: I suggest we have a short version of the "action points"
    regarding international participation of the meeting reports that
    should be translated at least in English and posted / circulated. Max
    1 page, which can then be locally re-translated.

    > I think they will need help with their website (information and registration)

    -- The website is being locally developed.  We tried to interact with
    the web developer, but it wasn't successful.  Plans - if I understand
    correctly - are that the same registration system used in Porto Alegre
    will be activated.  But again, there is a problem with the languages
    and it is now getting late in time.

    ** Action: The basic texts already on the website and the instructions
    on how to register should be translated in many languages, setting up
    a specific group where people from Asia, Africa take in charge the
    translation and the communication workgroup in Belem ensures that they
    will be integrated in the website.

    ** Request: can we have an update on the website situation, Kelem or others?

    > and second to let a lot of people know about the event:
    > mails, newsletter, invites etc.
    > The information about Belem - including the program - must reach all
    > continents.

    -- I think this is the most important point.  The mailing list used to
    send the newsletters produced by the WSF Office in Sao Paulo is a
    partial one.  We need to use the other participants' databases in
    India, Africa, etc.  A few attempts to do it were made during the
    Global Action Day, but not in a systematic manner.  Let's try again,
    but with a specific procedure, starting with the newsletters which
    should be translated in other languages.

    ** Action: I suggest that for each language (starting from Hindi,
    Korean, Japanese, Arabic...), we need 2 people to take in charge the
    translation and re-distribution. It would be good if we could all use
    the same tool to send the mailings (I've been insisting on this point
    and it can be implemented in about 1 month), but it can also be done
    separately.  Right now, the first newsletter that Thiago sent could be
    translated -- Meena, could someone at Focus or at the Indian SF office
    take this task up?

    > So we need people in media in all parts of the world, not only
    > in South America and Europe.

    --Totally agree.  The press group formed during the GDA should be
    re-activated as soon as possible, expanding it to many more people and
    organisations.

    ** Action: we should send a short "appeal" to join the media group(s)
    and organise the space in openfsm accordingly - possibily in more
    languages.  Again we need "reference" people who can take in charge
    the facilitation of these spaces by language.

    > The chats will have to be at a convenient time.
    > Maybe we can make two groups if the time is not convenient.

    -- Yes - though in some way these groups need to communicate among
    each other -- and as far as I can see, this should be done through
    "reporting" on the meetings on openfsm, so they are public.  Also the
    chats on skype can be visible after they take place, so long as people
    are registered in them.  We can explore other chat tools too (what is
    most used in India/Asia?)

    ** Action: Meena, suggest a time for the "Asian-M.East-African" chat
    and take the lead...!

    > I think we can form groups: Media, website, newsletter, etc. And we need to
    > work closely with the local office and the WSF office.

    -- This fortunately is already happening.  The groups have to expand.
    Here is the list:
    http://openfsm.net/projects/communication-commission/project-home
    and who is participating:
    http://openfsm.net/projects/communication-commission/directory

    ** Action: expand the groups and have specific meetings for each!
    Calendar/agenda for each group should be published in the spaces on
    openfsm.  WSF Office can facilitate the inclusion of new people in the
    working groups if needed (agree, Thiago?).

    > We must start with a first level press release which can be formulated and
    > sent to us from the WSF office.

    -- I think the press release / press kit should be a common exercise
    done starting from the Belem communication group, the wsf office and
    the press group.  It can be the first thing to do within this month of
    August.

    ** Action - get the press group moving again.  Monica and others, are
    you available?

    > Pl tell me how the asians and Africans can become part of the Comcom. For a
    > start my friends here and I too, are interested in working with the local
    > Belem committee to help with the event.

    -- Excellent!

    ** Action: Just have your contacts join the main mailing lists
    (communication-commission-discussion@...;
    fsm2009com-discussion@...), create new ones if needed
    under the Communication commission - and... take the lead!  If you
    need help for this, Thiago, Pierre and myself are available.

    > Waiting for your reply
    > Meena

    -- Just one final note: I think we should use (and futher develop)
    what is now the wsf2008.net website in the movements/participants
    mapping website to mobilize and to make visible what the WSF is around
    the world (actions, events, forums, etc.).  This tool also has the
    possibility of a mass mailing module which can be directed by language
    of participants, geographical, etc.  It would be the missing "link" to
    solve part of our communication problems, but we need  to think it out
    well.  So I invite who is interested to participate to the webteam
    group - and we should have at the next IC a specific meeting on web
    tools and strategies.

    Let's move it!
    Jason

    • Re: Re: about Comcom

      from meenam on Aug 02, 2008 11:58 AM
      Thanks Jason! That was very comprehensive and an excellent plan.

      Yes we can translate the fist call- Thiago and I can work on it for a start-
      can you send me a draft in any language?

      We have a liaison group that we had sent up in Asia for the GDA- we can
      activate that-m and the Africa part - do work out in Copenhagen- I shall ask
      my Indian and Asian friends to coordinate there during the IC- I wont be
      coming unfortunately. It clashed with a commitment I made along time ago,
      in Canada. But after the IC we can start the chat- meanwhile I will already
      start setting it up with the help of the Indian committee.

      I agree the priority is what does Belem need- so Jason maybe you and Thiago
      and the local committee can work out a set of tasks. Website is top priority
      I would say.

      We need to involve press and media organisations, both mainstream and
      alternative in Asia and Africa including the Middle east to cover Belem and
      the lead up to it. Also create enough interest so that activists form all
      over the world come and participate. Lets get an idea of the current status
      of the program form the Program.  Committee!

      Best
      Meena

      --
      Focus On The Global South, India
      A-201, Kailash Apartments
      Juhu Church Road, Juhu
      Mumbai – 400 049. India
      Tel: +91-22-6592 1141 / 51
      Telefax: +91-22-2625 4347
      Email: focusind@... / focusind@...
      Website: http://www.focusweb.org

      • Re: [FSM 2009 - Comunicacao] Re: Re: about Comcom

        from pierre on Aug 02, 2008 01:47 PM
        dear friends

        i am on my way back to france , and will be able to contribute more
        precisely to this important exchange from tomorrow night

        only wanted to give one info

        during this month of july, i have been involved in the  making of the forms
        for the fsm2009amazonia site   (i-e the belem site)  and from what i see,
        the notion of "belem expanded" , that what present in Abuja discussions,
        should be present in the form filled by organisations registering on the
        site , ( registration will open in august)

        so an organisation wishing to participate remotely to belem can register in
        the belem site  and announce  there to belem organizers that it wishes to
        participate remotely in a connected way ( please note that "connected" does
        not mean necessarily internet live connection , it can take many other
        forms)

        this is a  first fundamental step in order to involve organisations  beyond
        those that will make the trip to belem, and it will help a lot the work of
        the communication commission  during the next weeks and monthes

        more later .... !

        with greetings from a stop over in  Rio
        Pierre

        2008/8/2 Meena Menon <meenamen@...>

> [...]
        >> fsm2009com-discussion@...), create new ones if needed
        >> under the Communication commission - and... take the lead!  If you
        >> need help for this, Thiago, Pierre and myself are available.
        >>
        >> > Waiting for your reply
        >> > Meena
        >>
        >> -- Just one final note: I think we should use (and futher develop)
        >> what is now the wsf2008.net website in the movements/participants
        >> mapping website to mobilize and to make visible what the WSF is around
        >> the world (actions, events, forums, etc.).  This tool also has the
        >> possibility of a mass mailing module which can be directed by language
        >> of participants, geographical, etc.  It would be the missing "link" to
        >> solve part of our communication problems, but we need  to think it out
        >> well.  So I invite who is interested to participate to the webteam
        >> group - and we should have at the next IC a specific meeting on web

        from "Chico Whitaker" on Aug 02, 2008 03:51 PM
        Meena, with the answers gave by Jason I think I dont need to answer myself to your mail about all this. So, I am not forgetting it but thinking that I have nothing more to say... The information, actions and requests proposed by Jason make already a very organized plan. Let us continue. Chico Whitaker