• Communication commission discussion

Re: WEF Palestine communication and the BDS media maraton

from rita@... on Oct 17, 2010 01:05 PM
Dear all

This is the first draft of the call for a BDS marathon wrote by Stop
the Wall. The text is open to sugestions and media subscriptions

Please, help us to finalize it

[]s
Rita

Join the Anti-Apartheid Media Marathon to help put a stop to illegal
practices of the Occupation

To mark this year?s Week against the Apartheid Wall from 9 - 16
November, Palestinian and international activists will again mobilize
in the streets and organize a series of events across the globe. This
mobilization on the ground will be  complemented by a fast paced 48
hour media marathon on 12 and 13 November. We call on media to join 48
hours non-stop coverage!

On the days of the Week against the Apartheid Wall there will be a
calendar of international events, where participants will come
together to demand an end to the Apartheid Wall and to Israeli
impunity, through film screenings, demonstrations, photo exhibits,
conferences and debates. .. In Asia, North and South America and
Europe people will come together to target the apartheid policies and
practices of the Occupation, and the Governments and international
businesses which are complicit in the construction of the illegal Wall
and the settlements. The Boycott, Divestments and Sanctions campaign
is crucial in telling the world that Israel and the companies and
Governments which support it should no longer be allowed to profit
from the continuing attack on the basic rights of Palestinians.

Israel and the international community have failed to meet their
obligations to end the construction of the Wall and its associated
regime six years on from the ICJ Advisory Opinion which found these
practices to be illegal.  As another round of peace talks will not
bring any justice to the Palestinian people, it is more important now
than ever to mobilize communities around the world to bring an end to
the injustices of the Occupation.

Stop the Wall Campaign, in cooperation with Ciranda, Foro Social de
Radios, WSFTV, shared communication initiatives and alternative media,
has launched this media marathon to engage international media
activists in raising awareness of the Wall and its effects. Several
media networks, such as the ones listed below, have already joined in.
We call on media to join 48 hours non-stop coverage by broadcasting,
airing, streaming or publishing information about the Wall, Israeli
Apartheid and Palestinian resistance and global BDS movement.

Participating is easy:
   1. Choose a time span during the 48 hours of the media marathon
(12th of November 0:00h ? 13th of November 23:59h), during which you
will offer coverage about the Wall, Israeli Apartheid and Palestinian
resistance and global solidarity.
   2. Let Stop the Wall know that you are participating in the Media
Marathon so that we can get you in contact with other participating
media and can insert you in the 48 hours programming to be published a
special website. Contact: gemma@...
   3. Create your programming. Draw upon the resources in your
community. There is much information and media material already out
there. Contact Stop the Wall at gemma@... if you need
support, information or material.

This media marathon is the first of its kind. Stop the Wall Campaign
calls on journalists and media stations across the world to take the
opportunity to cover these major events over 12 and 13 November as
they follow the route of the sun. The time is now to show that there
can be no peace without an end to repression and occupation.

More information on the Week Against the Apartheid Wall can be found
here: http://stopthewall.org/latestnews/2361.shtml

For more information on the events being held in your country, please
check the website on the media marathon: [website address]

Contacts:
Stop the Wall: gemma@...
Ciranda (Hilde and Soraya): bds@...

Participating networks and groups/being contacted:
Stop the Wall
Ciranda
WSF TV
Foro Social de Radios